The following sections contain experimental evidence in favor of a Flat Earth.
- It is proven that the ship does not sink behind a hill of water, but that it is actually perspective which hides it. This demonstrates that the earth is not a globe. There have been experiments where half-sunken ships have been restored by simply looking at them through telescopes, showing that they are not actually hiding behind "hills of water": http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=Ships+appear+to+sink+as+they+recede+past+the+horizon
- Further references of ships being restored are available in the book The Cellular Cosmogony: http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/cc/cc21.htm
- Tom Bishop conclusively demonstrates that the earth is flat here: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=18114.msg319626#msg319626
- Professor Mark Fonstad of Southwest Texas University mathematically demonstrates the earth's flatness here: http://www.improb.com/airchives/paperair/volume9/v9i3/kansas.html
- There are further experiments which demonstrate a Flat Earth in the book Zetetic Cosmogony by Thomas Winship: http://books.google.com/books?id=GzkKAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA#PPP9,M1
- Daniel Shenton has demonstrated it here on the Old Bedford Canal: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=34316.msg841118#msg841118
- See Samuel Birley Rowbotham's work on the Bedford Canal and other British locations in his work Earth Not a Globe which demonstrates the reality of a Flat Earth: http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za00.htm
- A woman named Lady Bount was among the first to peer review Rowbotham's work: Lady Bount Trials
The Old Bedford Level was the scene of further experiments over the years, until in 1904, photography was used to prove that the earth is flat. Lady Blount, a staunch believer in the zetetic faith hired a photographer, Mr Cifton of Dallmeyer's who arrived at the Bedford Level with the firm's latest Photo-Telescopic camera. The apparatus was set up at one end of the clear six-mile length, while at the other end Lady Blount and some scientific gentlemen hung a large, white calico sheet over the Bedford bridge so that the bottom of it was near the water. Mr Clifton, lying down near Welney bridge with his camera lens two feet above the water level, observed by telescope the hanging of the sheet, and found that he could see the whole of it down to the bottom. This surprised him, for he was an orthodox globularist and round-earth theory said that over a distance of six miles the bottom of the sheet should bemore than 20 feet below his line of sight. His photograph showed not only the entire sheet but its reflection in the water below. That was certified in his report to Lady Blount, which concluded: "I should not like to abandon the globular theory off-hand, but, as far as this particular test is concerned, I am prepared to maintain that (unless rays of light will travel in a curved path) these six miles of water present a level surface."
- There is also an article demonstrating the flatness of the earth in The English Mechanic, a scientific journal: English Mechanic Article
"The Flat Earth: another Bedford Canal experiment" (Bernard H.Watson, et al),
ENGLISH MECHANIC, 80:160, 1904
Bedford Canal, England. A repeat of the 1870 experiment
"A train of empty turf-boats had just entered the Canal from the river Ouse, and
was about proceeding to Ramsey. I arranged with the captain to place the shallowest
boat last in the train, and to take me on to Welney Bridge, a distance of six
miles. A good telescope was then fixed on the lowest part of the stern of the last
boat. The sluice gate of the Old Bedford Bridge was 5ft. 8in. high, the turf-boat
moored there was 2ft. 6in. high, and the notice board was 6ft. 6in. from the water.
The sun was shining strongly upon them in the direction of the south-southwest; the
air was exceedingly still and clear, and the surface of the water smooth as a
molten mirror, so that everything was favourable for observation. At 1.15 p.m. the
train started for Welney. As the boats gradually receded, the sluice gate, the
turf-boat and the notice board continued to be visible to the naked eye for about
four miles. When the sluice gate and the turf-boat (being of a dark colour) became
somewhat indistinct, the notice board (which was white) was still plainly visible,
and remained so to the end of six miles. But on looking through the telescope all
the objects were distinctly visible throughout the whole distance. On reaching
Welney Bridge I made very careful and repeated observations, and finding several
men upon the banks of the canal, I called them to look through the telescope. They
all saw distinctly the white notice board, the sluice gate, and the black turf-boat
moored near them.
Now, as the telescope was 18in. above the water, The line of sight would touch the
horizon at one mile and a half away (if the surface were convex). The curvature of
the remaining four miles and a half would be 13ft. 6in. Hence the turf-boat should
have been 11ft., the top of the sluice gate 7ft. 10in., and the bottom of the
notice board 7ft. below the horizon.
My recent experiment affords undeniable proof of the Earth's unglobularity, because
it rests not on transitory vision; but my proof remains printed on the negative of
the photograph which Mr.Clifton took for me, and in my presence, on behalf of
A photograph can not 'imagine' nor lie!"
- In "A Hundred Proofs the Earth is Not a Globe" by William Carpenter there are a number of referenced experiments which demonstrates the earth's non-globularity: http://flatearthlogic.webs.com/hundredproofs.htm
- There are referenced experiments in the book "Terra Firma 1901" by David Wardlaw Scott which favor a Flat Earth: http://www.archive.org/details/cu31924031764594