GPS satellites???

  • 147 Replies
  • 25912 Views
GPS satellites???
« on: February 07, 2007, 07:49:56 PM »
How do they work then?

What about google earth? I don't think they flew around the earth taking pictures.

GPS satellites???
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 07:50:59 PM »
haha.... those guys are full of it
s all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe

?

Tom Bishop

GPS satellites???
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 07:51:45 PM »
GPS uses accurate clocks to triangulate position. It doesn't need satellites.

Google Earth buys pictures taken from aircraft surveys and arranges them on a 3D globe.

GPS satellites???
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 07:53:59 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
GPS uses accurate clocks to triangulate position. It doesn't need satellites.

Google Earth buys pictures taken from aircraft surveys and arranges them on a 3D globe.


Planes have not covered the whole of the world mate.

Accurate clocks? Example?

?

Tom Bishop

GPS satellites???
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 07:56:23 PM »
Quote
Planes have not covered the whole of the world mate.


Very true. Not with high resolution cameras at least. Which is exactly why rural and uninteresting places of Google Earth have low resolution.

Google mostly buys its aircraft pictures from geological surveyors.

Quote
Accurate clocks? Example?


Look up "how GPS works" on Google.

GPS satellites???
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 07:58:05 PM »
so why would they require an open sky? and list the satellites they are receiving their triangulated position from ?
s all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe

GPS satellites???
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 08:00:15 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
Quote
Planes have not covered the whole of the world mate.


Very true. Not with high resolution cameras at least. Which is exactly why rural and uninteresting places of Google Earth have low resolution.

Google mostly buys its aircraft pictures from geological surveyors.

Quote
Accurate clocks? Example?


Look up "how GPS works" on Google.


Global positioning satellite...satellite...tom...satellites!!

?

Tom Bishop

GPS satellites???
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2007, 08:00:23 PM »
Quote from: "zach3792"
so why would they require an open sky? and list the satellites they are receiving their triangulated position from ?


It's listing the triangulating stations that it uses with its accurate clocks. Those triangulating stations can be ground based. The signals can be bounced off the atmosphere like radio. And the signals can also be broadcast from Stratellites. Lighter than air vehicles at very high altitudes.

http://images.google.com/images?&q=stratellite

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stratellite

GPS satellites???
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2007, 08:02:04 PM »
well then why does it require an open sky? radio doesnt? satellites and gps's do
s all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe

GPS satellites???
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »
Quote from: "zach3792"
well then why does it require an open sky? radio doesnt? satellites and gps's do


Stratellite is a brand name (Stratellite is a trademark of Sanswire Network, LLC, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of GlobeTel Communications Corp.) for a proposed high-altitude stratospheric airship that would provide a stationary communications platform for various types of wireless signals currently carried by communications towers or satellites.[/b]

Key word there tom...proposed...

currently carried by...oh right...satellites..

good work tom!

?

Tom Bishop

GPS satellites???
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2007, 08:08:35 PM »
Quote
well then why does it require an open sky?


Because the signals that are bounced off the atmosphere are rather weak. It works better with an open sky just like your radio works better with an open sky.

Stratellite GPS stations also require an open sky.

Quote
Key word there tom...proposed...

currently carried by...oh right...satellites..

good work tom!


Lighter than air vehicles have been around since World War 2.

GPS satellites???
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2007, 08:11:01 PM »
To date none of these designs have received approval from the FAA to fly in U.S. airspace.
s all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe

GPS satellites???
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2007, 08:11:16 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
Quote
well then why does it require an open sky?


Because the signals that are bounced off the atmosphere are rather weak. It works better with an open sky just like your radio works better with an open sky.

Stratellite GPS stations also require an open sky.

Quote
Key word there tom...proposed...

currently carried by...oh right...satellites..

good work tom!


Lighter than air vehicles have been around since World War 2.


yes, but not the one ur talkin bout

*

TheEngineer

  • Planar Moderator
  • 15483
  • GPS does not require satellites.
GPS satellites???
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2007, 08:12:49 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
Those triangulating stations can be ground based. The signals can be bounced off the atmosphere like radio.

No they can't.


"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

*

TheEngineer

  • Planar Moderator
  • 15483
  • GPS does not require satellites.
GPS satellites???
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2007, 08:14:11 PM »
Quote from: "edlloyd"


Global positioning satellite...satellite...tom...satellites!!

GPS is Global Positioning System.  The transmitters do not have to be in space for it to work.


"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

?

Tom Bishop

GPS satellites???
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2007, 08:14:45 PM »
Quote from: "zach3792"
To date none of these designs have received approval from the FAA to fly in U.S. airspace.


They fly in military airspace, at altitudes over 60,000 feet.

Quote
yes, but not the one ur talkin bout


If engineers could make lighter than air vehicles back in WW2, then they could make remote controlled versions today.

*

TheEngineer

  • Planar Moderator
  • 15483
  • GPS does not require satellites.
GPS satellites???
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2007, 08:14:59 PM »
Quote from: "zach3792"
To date none of these designs have received approval from the FAA to fly in U.S. airspace.

The designs have been flying for years.


"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

GPS satellites???
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2007, 08:17:11 PM »
A stratospheric airship is an airship designed to fly at very high altitudes (30,000 - 70,000 ft or 10 - 20 km). Most designs are (ROA/UAV) remote operated aircraft/unmanned aerial vehicles. To date none of these designs have received approval from the FAA to fly in U.S. airspace.
s all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe

GPS satellites???
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2007, 08:17:17 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
Quote from: "edlloyd"


Global positioning satellite...satellite...tom...satellites!!

GPS is Global Positioning System.  The transmitters do not have to be in space for it to work.


Yes...but tom is argueing that satellites do not exist.

GPS satellites???
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2007, 08:18:36 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
Quote from: "zach3792"
To date none of these designs have received approval from the FAA to fly in U.S. airspace.


They fly in military airspace, at altitudes over 60,000 feet.

Quote
yes, but not the one ur talkin bout


If engineers could make lighter than air vehicles back in WW2, then they could make remote control versions today.


Tom...what has this got to do with satellites? Could wot?

Satellities do exists mate. Hence how google earth works and shows the earth to be quite round

?

Tom Bishop

GPS satellites???
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2007, 08:22:55 PM »
Quote
Yes...but tom is argueing that satellites do not exist.


They don't.

Quote

Tom...what has this got to do with satellites? Could wot?


I'm saying that Stratellites are what you think are Satellites.

Quote
Hence how google earth works and shows the earth to be quite round.


Google Earth is simply a computer model of a sphere with aircraft pictures on it. It could just as easily be shaped into a flat earth. Or a square earth. Or a cylindrical earth.

GPS satellites???
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2007, 08:26:38 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
Quote
Yes...but tom is argueing that satellites do not exist.


They don't.

Quote

Tom...what has this got to do with satellites? Could wot?


I'm saying that Stratellites are what you think are Satellites.

Quote
Hence how google earth works and shows the earth to be quite round.


Google Earth is simply a computer model of a sphere with aircraft pictures on it. It could just as easily be shaped into a flat earth. Or a square earth. Or a cylindrical earth.


Jesus christ. Why do satellities not exist? The technology is quite clearly there.

GPS satellites???
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2007, 08:27:34 PM »
Quote from: "Tom Bishop"
Quote
Yes...but tom is argueing that satellites do not exist.


They don't.

Quote

Tom...what has this got to do with satellites? Could wot?


I'm saying that Stratellites are what you think are Satellites.

Quote
Hence how google earth works and shows the earth to be quite round.


Google Earth is simply a computer model of a sphere with aircraft pictures on it. It could just as easily be shaped into a flat earth. Or a square earth. Or a cylindrical earth.


So where do all these NASA space missions fly off to then?

?

Tom Bishop

GPS satellites???
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2007, 08:28:28 PM »
Quote
Jesus christ. Why do satellities not exist? The technology is quite clearly there.


Satellites themselves could exist. They just couldn't orbit the earth due to its   lack of gravity.

Quote
So where do all these NASA space missions fly off to then?


Probably high into the atmosphere to deploy stratellites, or to conduct a survey mission or two.

*

TheEngineer

  • Planar Moderator
  • 15483
  • GPS does not require satellites.
GPS satellites???
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2007, 08:28:28 PM »
Satellites require gravity to stay aloft.  No gravity, no satellites in orbit.


"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

GPS satellites???
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 03:21:59 PM »
but gravity exists so that makes you retarded!!!!!!!!!PUT YOUR HELMET ON AND GET BACK IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
s all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream? -Edgar Allen Poe

?

Rick_James

  • The Elder Ones
  • 4311
  • Rick <3 Gayer
GPS satellites???
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 03:25:05 PM »
Quote from: "edlloyd"
Satellities do exists mate. Hence how google earth works and shows the earth to be quite round



GoogleEarth uses aeroplanes to take the photos, as stated on their website.

?

BOGWarrior89

  • 3793
  • We are as one.
GPS satellites???
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 03:31:27 PM »
Quote from: "zach3792"
but gravity exists so that makes you retarded!!!!!!!!!PUT YOUR HELMET ON AND GET BACK IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GET YOUR "SHIFT" and "1" KEY UNSTUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GPS satellites???
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
Quote from: "BOGWarrior89"
Quote from: "zach3792"
but gravity exists so that makes you retarded!!!!!!!!!PUT YOUR HELMET ON AND GET BACK IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Prove it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GET YOUR "SHIFT" and "1" KEY UNSTUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


I jump....but then I fall to the ground. Without gravity? What would cause this effect?

?

Rick_James

  • The Elder Ones
  • 4311
  • Rick <3 Gayer
GPS satellites???
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 03:37:40 PM »
Quote from: "edlloyd"
I jump....but then I fall to the ground. Without gravity? What would cause this effect?



Close. You jump, and the Earth rushes up to meet you.