I can prove the shape of the Earth, but I need some help.

• 49 Replies

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
I can prove the shape of the Earth, but I need some help.
« on: December 14, 2014, 04:36:47 PM »
The earliest experiment that proved the roundness of the Earth involved two guys in different places that measured the shadows cast by poles to determine the Earth's size, but flat earthers can use this data to calculate the distance and size of the sun given that the Earth is flat.  This experiment with two data points is ambiguous when it comes to the shape of the Earth, but if you had 3 or more points then you could give a conclusive answer.  What I need from you all is data, I would like to organize an event where as many people as I can (that can see the sun at the same time) do this experiment at the same time and then share the data here where math can be done and conclusions made.

I have not picked an exact date and time for this yet because I would like to make it a convenient time for those involved, but what I am planning is that you can enter this experiment by mentioning that you want to be a part of it here and also you need to mention your location at least as precise as what city you live in.  If you don't want to share what city you live in then don't enter this experiment.  The experiment involve you placing a pole virtucaly on a flat surface and then measure it's shadow cast by the sun.  The data that I need is the length if the pole (only the part that's sticking out of the ground) and the length of the shadow at the specified time.

I live in the city of St. George in the state of Utah in the United States.  I could easily do this experiment if I just had someone from the east coast and someone from the west coast of the United States.  I am looking for both round earthers and flat earthers to do this as long as you own a ruler and a stick.  Please don't give false information.

[Edit]: I will also need the direction that the shadow is pointing on a compass as accurate as you can get.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:23:28 PM by mikeman7918 »
I am having a video war with Jeranism.
See the thread about it here.

Re: I can mathematically prove the shape of the Earth, but I need some help.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:41:24 PM »
You know what would be even cooler?? Get two people to send up weather balloons at the same time.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 04:52:16 PM »
Sounds interesting.  South-west WA is not very sunny at this time of year, but if a few of you all decide on a time and date, and I'm free, and it's sunny (or the forecast says sun so I can plan in advance), I might just do this.  I have a lot of wood scraps, and it would be easy to rig up a 3 ft vertical pole on a stand, and adjust with a level.  I'll just send the coordinates for the location.

*got a compass too.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 12:11:48 AM by 29silhouette »

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
Re: I can prove the shape of the Earth, but I need some help.
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 09:29:07 PM »
I noticed that I will also need all participants to tell me the direction of the sun on a compas.  When I get the data, I plan on making a 3D model of both a round Earth and a flat Earth that shows the locations of participants with arrows to display where the sun is for them.  If the arrows are parallel or all converge in one spot on one of the models, that's the correct one, and it's geometrically impossible for that to happen in both models.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 02:17:28 AM »
If we can assume that the altitude of the Sun doesn't change within 24 hours then I propose to do this at solar noon on winter solstice. It's on Sunday, December 21.
I think, therefore I am

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 03:33:15 AM »
Sounds interesting.  South-west WA is not very sunny at this time of year, but if a few of you all decide on a time and date, and I'm free, and it's sunny (or the forecast says sun so I can plan in advance), I might just do this.  I have a lot of wood scraps, and it would be easy to rig up a 3 ft vertical pole on a stand, and adjust with a level.  I'll just send the coordinates for the location.

*got a compass too.
you have a compass that continually points to magnetic north .Good for you .Maybe you could find the magnetic South Pole for us while your proving the shape of earth.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

?

guv

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 04:14:31 AM »
Blooming hell charlie boy are you still stealing oxygen. Have a look south one night, you may nut out for yourself where the south pole is. Get a long neck in ya. And stop sitting on your balls, get some duds.

ausGeoff

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 10:03:10 AM »
LOL... poor old Charlie apparently doesn't know that a compass needle points directly at the south magnetic pole.

Just how much of a slow learner is this guy?    ;D

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
LOL... poor old Charlie apparently doesn't know that a compass needle points directly at the south magnetic pole.

Your compass points north . You leave the North magnetic Pole with your compass pointing north & head south & end up at north. So when did you get to the South magnetic pole ?.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 03:29:56 PM »

Your compass points north . You leave the North magnetic Pole with your compass pointing north & head south & end up at north. So when did you get to the South magnetic pole ?.

You do realise this "slowing the argument down by pretending to not understand" nonsense just makes you look trollish rather than clever, right?
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:49:21 PM »

*got a compass too.
you have a compass that continually points to magnetic north .Good for you .Maybe you could find the magnetic South Pole for us while your proving the shape of earth.
   And you managed to write some mostly coherent sentences.  Good for you.  Here's the south magnetic pole for 2014.   lon 136.854 lat -64.327

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 07:43:47 PM »

*got a compass too.
   And you managed to write some mostly coherent sentences.  Good for you.  Here's the south magnetic pole for 2014.   lon 136.854 lat -64.327
And how did you derive at that location. Let me guess Google earth or some other made up imaginary nonsense. Tell me how you can determined magnetic south location with a compass that only calibrates to north . Oh that's right you just make up a location & sell that BS to the stooges you trained to be fools.

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 07:56:57 PM »

You do realise this "slowing the argument down by pretending to not understand" nonsense just makes you look trollish rather than clever, right?
how"s that ? Your claiming to prove the shape of earth with an imaginary South Pole you claim can be found with an instrument that's only true calibrate is to point North .So what are you actually bringing to the table .smells like its fishy baloney on rye. No true South Pole location the your calculations are just plan old made up shit talk .
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 08:02:24 PM by charles bloomington »

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 12:43:11 PM »

how"s that ? Your claiming to prove the shape of earth with an imaginary South Pole you claim can be found with an instrument that's only true calibrate is to point North .So what are you actually bringing to the table .smells like its fishy baloney on rye. No true South Pole location the your calculations are just plan old made up shit talk .

If you don't understand that South is always the opposite direction to North and therefore one only needs to know where North is in order to know the direction of South (which you give the appearance of not understanding) then you are either a moronic pinhead who has nothing to contribute to this discussion, or a troll.
Founder member of the League Of Scientific Gentlemen and Mademoiselles des Connaissances.
I am pompous, self-righteous, thin skinned, and smug.

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 01:01:01 PM »

It's not people who come on here having to prove anything, it's the result of years of proven scientific work across the world.  The fact that you and others are not prepared to discuss anything outside this site and the language you use proves your lack of credibility.

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2014, 08:40:33 PM »
Could we please just focus on proving the shape of the Earth rather then just debating it?  Please join this experiment if you want to contribute to (possibly) ending this debate once and for all.

Conker

• Official FES jerk / kneebiter
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 08:39:16 AM »
Sunday 21? Im in. NW Spain (Dunno the exact coords since I will be moving between family homes). 12:00 UTC? It is notorious, though, that while Spain has an official time zone of UTC+1, NW Spain is actually placed between UTC+0 and UTC-1.

Therefore, I will measure the lenght of an object (you tell me what)'s shadow at that time. I will give coords. Giving precise direction will be quite hard, since I dont own a precise compass. Kid's compass and phone compass will be.

Anything else I need to give? Pictures, maybe?
This is not a joke society.
Quote from: OpenedEyes
You shouldn't be allowed to talk on a free discussion forum.

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 12:28:46 PM »
Sunday 21? Im in. NW Spain (Dunno the exact coords since I will be moving between family homes). 12:00 UTC? It is notorious, though, that while Spain has an official time zone of UTC+1, NW Spain is actually placed between UTC+0 and UTC-1.

Therefore, I will measure the lenght of an object (you tell me what)'s shadow at that time. I will give coords. Giving precise direction will be quite hard, since I dont own a precise compass. Kid's compass and phone compass will be.

Anything else I need to give? Pictures, maybe?
Grid coordinate would be easily determined with googlemaps or GE.  Time zones could be an issue though if we're trying to do this all at the same time and we're that far apart.  I'll double check just what time it would be here, but I think the west coast of the US would still be dark.

ausGeoff

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2014, 12:24:31 AM »
Check out world times HERE

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2014, 05:21:55 AM »

If you don't understand that South is always the opposite direction to North and therefore one only needs to know where North is in order to know the direction of South (which you give the appearance of not understanding) then you are either a moronic pinhead who has nothing to contribute to this discussion, or a troll.
phark the time being a problem. Your claiming south's always opposite north. So explain how you leave north, head south & end up at north. Compass needle pointing north the whole time.

Conker

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2014, 07:09:50 AM »

phark the time being a problem. Your claiming south's always opposite north. So explain how you leave north, head south & end up at north. Compass needle pointing north the whole time.
Im not sure if I understand what are you saying. You mean that you leave from the north, head south, and then you navigate around the whole meridian, getting back at the north pole? If that's so, when passing through the south pole, the needle will change direction again. If you want to make an experiment, take a round object, then use a tack to fix a rubber band to one pole. Paint an arrow pointing to the tack on the rubber band, then grab it, and move the point you grabbed to different points in the globe (Remember, though: Keep the rubber band in the least tension position posible between the point and the pole. I.E., if you are the US, the rubber band cant pass through australia/china/africa, whatever the antipodes of US are)

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »
This thread is all about the community experiment that I am trying to organize to prove the shape of the Earth, so let's discus that instead of compass nonsense.  I still need more volunteers to collect data about the position of the Sun so I can prove the shape of the Earth, so let's get back to it.

Conker

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2014, 05:01:57 PM »
This thread is all about the community experiment that I am trying to organize to prove the shape of the Earth, so let's discus that instead of compass nonsense.  I still need more volunteers to collect data about the position of the Sun so I can prove the shape of the Earth, so let's get back to it.
Can we agree on a time? Because I doubt I will be able to go to an open field at 11 AM
EDIT: I think we should postpone this, since no one but me has announced they would actually do it
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 05:04:37 PM by Conker »

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2014, 05:18:19 PM »
I'm not even sure when I might get to see the sun again.  Forecast shows the 25th as being somewhat clear, but that's it for a little while.  Also Conker, doing a quick check on GE, it looks like the sun is just rising here as it's setting there.   

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »
I am not asking anyone to commit to anything right now, I am just trying to gather volunteers so I can start doing further planning on the experiment.  If you volunteer then it's not a commitment, it's only telling me that you are willing to participate.

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »

Im not sure if I understand what are you saying. You mean that you leave from the north, head south, and then you navigate around the whole meridian, getting back at the north pole? If that's so, when passing through the south pole, the needle will change direction again. If you want to make an experiment, take a round object, then use a tack to fix a rubber band to one pole. Paint an arrow pointing to the tack on the rubber band, then grab it, and move the point you grabbed to different points in the globe (Remember, though: Keep the rubber band in the least tension position posible between the point and the pole. I.E., if you are the US, the rubber band cant pass through australia/china/africa, whatever the antipodes of US are)
What waffle is that. The compass points north the whole time. How can it be spinning around, north is north . Have a look at the so called map of Antarctic North is every direction. So where the phark is south ?

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2014, 07:23:01 PM »
What waffle is that. The compass points north the whole time. How can it be spinning around, north is north . Have a look at the so called map of Antarctic North is every direction. So where the phark is south ?

"North is north." So what direction is north of the north pole? Similarly, which way is south of the south pole? The question is meaningless at those two points.

North is opposite of south, so when north is everywhere, then south is... nowhere.

This is called a singularity in mathematics. It happens when you have to do things like divide by zero to obtain the solution, and division by zero is undefined, so the solution has no meaning.

If you circumnavigate the Earth along a meridian line, your course will immediately change as you pass either of the poles and remain constant everywhere else. At those points, the math breaks down. Assuming your magnetic compass always points to true north and south, its direction would have no meaning at either of the poles.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2014, 07:32:35 PM »
I am not asking anyone to commit to anything right now, I am just trying to gather volunteers so I can start doing further planning on the experiment.  If you volunteer then it's not a commitment, it's only telling me that you are willing to participate.
Yeah, I'll give it a go weather and schedule permitting.  If the site is even still working at that time.  We might just need to move to the other one if this gets any slower.

Have a look at the so called map of Antarctic North is every direction. So where the phark is south ?
The opposite direction from North.  ::) Now are you done derailing the thread?

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
 Why don't you just admit it . The South pole is a made up BS location to suit the spherical BS Model being peddled. The whole concept of a sphere & curvature is to gain more for less. Which is very profitable . Selling land & Factoring in a curvature ,means you sell less for maximised greater return .

mikeman7918

• Round Earther
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
Why don't you just admit it . The South pole is a made up BS location to suit the spherical BS Model being peddled. The whole concept of a sphere & curvature is to gain more for less. Which is very profitable . Selling land & Factoring in a curvature ,means you sell less for maximised greater return .
So now everybody that has been to the doubt pole is a lier?  It seems like everybody s a lier except the people on this forum, but I have also been accused of being a lier by sceptimatic.  It might be easier to count the number of people who are not in on the alleged conspiracy.