So I guess Buzz Aldrin is still brainwashed

• 887 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: So I guess Buzz Aldrin is still brainwashed
« Reply #630 on: October 02, 2014, 06:26:08 AM »
Anyway can anyone guess how fast a shuttle has to accelerate to get to 17,000 mph in 8 minutes?

No guess here:

0.001 miles/s2

http://www.smartconversion.com/unit_calculation/Acceleration_calculator.aspx
Calculate that to miles per hour.
*sigh* you can't measure an acceleration in miles per hour.  You still don't understand.

He linked to the acceleration calculator, so if you want different units just do it yourself.
Save your nonsense for someone who cares.
If you don't care, then why are you here?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #631 on: October 02, 2014, 06:34:16 AM »
All, this rambling on for nothing.  Why don't you just admit you were wrong and stop embarrassing yourself further.

Anyone out there with a rational brain, do the maths. No need for comlicated bollocks or anything. Just do the maths for how a rocket can accelerate to 17,000 mph in 8 minutes
It's been shown to you, and it isn't complicated at all.  Let's do it again:

to go from 0 to 17,000 mph over 8 mins means they accelerate at 15.8 metres/s/s.  This means that for every second they are traveling 15.8 m/s faster.  So after 1s they are going 15.8 m/s, after 2 seconds they are going 31.6 m/s and after 3 seconds they are going 47.4 m/s and so on...

To calculate g-force:

1 g  = 9.8 m/s/s

therefore

15.8 / 9.8 = 1.61

So the average g-force going from 0 to 17,000 mph in 8 mins is 1.61g - this is only slighty higher than the g-force you will experience in your Bugatti Veyron as you go from 0-100 kph.  For the last minute of burn they do in fact reach 3g, then they turn the main engines off and go to zero-g.
Have another go, crabby.

There's no need, his maths is spot on.

dephelis

• Sine scientia ars nihil est.
« Reply #632 on: October 02, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »
You lot won't do it because it renders your rockets a total pile of crap for their size and for human travel.
You all know fine well that no rocket that size, nor human could survive even a portion of the speeds they allegedly attain.

Anyone out there with a rational brain, do the maths. No need for comlicated bollocks or anything. Just do the maths for how a rocket can accelerate to 17,000 mph in 8 minutes but don't allow yourself to be duped by silly mathematical workings.

Here's a tip for those that can think.

For a rocket to attain a speed of 17,000 mph for supposed entry into orbit our of Earth's atmosphere, it must always accelerate.
Now keep that in your heads the next time you accelerate from 0 to 60 mph on anything and feel the force upon you. Look at dragsters accelerating on a track and basically falling apart after seconds at times.

How many of you have taxied on a runway in a plane then been pushed back into your seat as the plance goes into full on acceleration to lift off? many, right?
Now this is only 200 mph or so and also it's basically horizontal with a slight incline as it goes into the sky. Once it levels out after full thrust, it keeps a constant speed, so all is well.

No, once attaining altitude and cruise speed (at full thrust) a pilot throttles down the thrust to maintain a constant speed.

However, a ballistic rocket is a different kettle of fish, because a rocket cannot stop accelerating if it needs to reach a certain speed, so the force acting on it and the supposed human occupants would render them useless, or to put it simply, it would break the rocket apart and would have already killed the occupants very early on.
There's no way around this. This is what would happen if these speeds were to be attempted.

Did you know that they say they don't allow a shuttle launch in the rain because if they did, they say that the rain would be like bullets hitting the shuttle and would break it apart. Of course, it's a made up story where the shuttle is concerned, because the shuttle is not a real space vehicle, yet there's truth in the story in terms of the speeds mentioned, because that's most probably what it would be like with rain.

No, they didn't allow shuttle lunches in the rain due to the chance of them damaging the, relatively fragile, re-entry heat sink tiles on the underside of the shuttle. The main structure of the shuttle and booster stages would not be affected by rain drops at launch speeds.

Just sittin in your own home looking out of your window with rain being smashed against it at 90 mph makes you think the windows going to shatter.

Not really.

People just can't visualise 17,000 mph. They think it's nothing because they are made to believe it's no big deal where space vehicles are mentioned.

Let's get a bit real here.
A plane uses full thrust to get airborne. Basically it has nothing left but the lift of the wings to basically glide higher at a slight angle where the air becomes thinner and the strain on the turbines becomes less stressful, meaning faster speeds can be attained.

Clearly you don't understand how planes work either.

In a rocket, it has to use full thrust all of the time. No throttling down and all that clap trap. It's full throttle and you're off.
So the real question should be. How does a rocket accelerate all of the time, anyway?
It should simply springboard from the launch pad and carry on into the sky at that speed, vertically. This is in reality though, but as we know, we are not dealing with reality in the space game, are we?  ;D

Remember, N.A.S.A rockets do not have gears, so to gain height they have to increase throttle or shall I say thrust.
The major problem with this is, they don't have any increased thrust, because they are at full thrust on lift off. Anyone see what I mean here? All you roundies, don't bother answering this, I'm not interested in your clap trap. ::)

The best any rocket can do is to go ballistic for a short period before arcing right back to Earth, expending their fuel in minutes, which is exactly what they do if anyone cares to look.

And here we get to the fallacious point that you are trying to make. Rockets (and any other device with an engine) do not need to provide extra thrust to maintain a level of acceleration as long as changes in their trajectory do not result in the application of additional forces.

A car going along a road does not need to increase thrust in order to maintain acceleration. If the road goes up a hill then additional thrust will be required, to maintain the same acceleration, in order to compensate for the car travelling against gravity.

A rocket launches vertically, the initial launch profile requires the most thrust of the entire trajectory. Following the initial stage of launch it gets easier as air density (therefore air resistance) decreases and the pull of gravity weakens.

Edit: Not to mention the rocket loses mass throughout the launch through depletion of fuel and the staging (jettisoning) of empty fuel tanks, therefore requiring less thrust to maintain constant acceleration.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 06:49:34 AM by dephelis »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #633 on: October 02, 2014, 07:14:12 AM »
Have another go, crabby.
Why?  If you have a problem with the maths then point it out and show the correction.
I don't have a problem with it. Like I said - try again.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #634 on: October 02, 2014, 07:17:00 AM »
Anyway can anyone guess how fast a shuttle has to accelerate to get to 17,000 mph in 8 minutes?

No guess here:

0.001 miles/s2

http://www.smartconversion.com/unit_calculation/Acceleration_calculator.aspx
Calculate that to miles per hour.
*sigh* you can't measure an acceleration in miles per hour.  You still don't understand.

He linked to the acceleration calculator, so if you want different units just do it yourself.
I'm here to aid those that are willing to think for themselves and to teach them how easy it is to rise above the brainwashed majority who stick rigidly to bullshit and attempt to show people that they know what they are talking about, whilst being fully aided by wiki and google.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #635 on: October 02, 2014, 07:18:02 AM »
All, this rambling on for nothing.  Why don't you just admit you were wrong and stop embarrassing yourself further.

Anyone out there with a rational brain, do the maths. No need for comlicated bollocks or anything. Just do the maths for how a rocket can accelerate to 17,000 mph in 8 minutes

to go from 0 to 17,000 mph over 8 mins means they accelerate at 15.8 metres/s/s.  This means that for every second they are traveling 15.8 m/s faster.  So after 1s they are going 15.8 m/s, after 2 seconds they are going 31.6 m/s and after 3 seconds they are going 47.4 m/s and so on...

To calculate g-force:

1 g  = 9.8 m/s/s

therefore

15.8 / 9.8 = 1.61

So the average g-force going from 0 to 17,000 mph in 8 mins is 1.61g - this is only slighty higher than the g-force you will experience in your Bugatti Veyron as you go from 0-100 kph.  For the last minute of burn they do in fact reach 3g, then they turn the main engines off and go to zero-g.
Have another go, crabby.

Have another go, mathsman.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #636 on: October 02, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »
I've actually had two goes at this an Jimmy's maths is correct. Now if it is wrong please enlighten me as to where it is wrong.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #637 on: October 02, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »
I've actually had two goes at this an Jimmy's maths is correct. Now if it is wrong please enlighten me as to where it is wrong.
You named yourself mathsman for a reason I assume, so come back to me when you are correct and not before.

« Reply #638 on: October 02, 2014, 08:32:57 AM »
You named yourself mathsman for a reason I assume, so come back to me when you are correct and not before.
Show where the calculations are incorrect, or STFU and move on. 

The problem is that your intuition has been shown to be horribly wrong again, and you are too childish to admit it.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 08:34:53 AM by JimmyTheCrab »
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

« Reply #639 on: October 02, 2014, 08:44:53 AM »

To calculate g-force:

1 g  = 9.8 m/s/s

therefore

15.8 / 9.8 = 1.61

Have another go, crabby.

Have another go at what? The answer is correct. You obviously don't like the answer because it clearly and unequivocally disproves the point you're trying to make, but that's your problem and on one else's, so please drop it.

You asked us to guess at the acceleration needed, but it's not necessary to guess at all. An exact answer can be easily calculated given the well-defined problem presented.

What's your guess? Was it your 5 mi/s2, which is more than 800g? That is, indeed, an unsurvivable acceleration, but would achieve orbital velocity in one second (less, actually - have you figured out how much less yet? Can you, sceptimatic?) Fortunately, there is no need to accelerate the shuttle to this velocity in less than a second, so the needed acceleration is considerably less (by almost 3 orders of magnitude [do you know what that means, sceptimatic?]), an easily-survivable 1.6g. This shows why, in the real world, such things are calculated by people who know what they're doing, not guessed.

The thing is, any arbitrary acceleration can be used to accelerate an object from zero to 17,000 mi/hr, it's just that it takes longer with lower acceleration. This is basic physics and algebra. It's quite handy knowing how to apply these, especially in discussions like this. Your rants about undesired (but nonetheless correct) results make you look petulant.

It's becoming clear that you are hostile to math because you can't do it. This puts you at a distinct disadvantage to the many people who can do middle-school and higher level math (that's usually grades 6 to 9 in the US), which must be embarrassing, so you try to dismiss it as totally useless. It isn't.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #640 on: October 02, 2014, 09:27:56 AM »
I'm here to aid those that are willing to think for themselves and to teach them how easy it is to rise above the brainwashed majority who stick rigidly to bullshit and attempt to show people that they know what they are talking about, whilst being fully aided by wiki and google.
Sometimes I can't help but to think that you don't understand what "thinking for yourself" really means.  Free thinking is not permission to say that everyone is wrong without needing to prove why they're wrong.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 09:30:35 AM by markjo »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #641 on: October 02, 2014, 10:09:43 AM »

The problem is that your intuition has been shown to be horribly wrong again, and you are too childish to admit it.
Explain yourself properly and I'll observe. Until then you will simply become a frustrated mess with me, crabby. Now get on with it or deck out. :D

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #642 on: October 02, 2014, 10:12:38 AM »

To calculate g-force:

1 g  = 9.8 m/s/s

therefore

15.8 / 9.8 = 1.61

Have another go, crabby.

Have another go at what? The answer is correct. You obviously don't like the answer because it clearly and unequivocally disproves the point you're trying to make, but that's your problem and on one else's, so please drop it.

You asked us to guess at the acceleration needed, but it's not necessary to guess at all. An exact answer can be easily calculated given the well-defined problem presented.

What's your guess? Was it your 5 mi/s2, which is more than 800g? That is, indeed, an unsurvivable acceleration, but would achieve orbital velocity in one second (less, actually - have you figured out how much less yet? Can you, sceptimatic?) Fortunately, there is no need to accelerate the shuttle to this velocity in less than a second, so the needed acceleration is considerably less (by almost 3 orders of magnitude [do you know what that means, sceptimatic?]), an easily-survivable 1.6g. This shows why, in the real world, such things are calculated by people who know what they're doing, not guessed.

The thing is, any arbitrary acceleration can be used to accelerate an object from zero to 17,000 mi/hr, it's just that it takes longer with lower acceleration. This is basic physics and algebra. It's quite handy knowing how to apply these, especially in discussions like this. Your rants about undesired (but nonetheless correct) results make you look petulant.

It's becoming clear that you are hostile to math because you can't do it. This puts you at a distinct disadvantage to the many people who can do middle-school and higher level math (that's usually grades 6 to 9 in the US), which must be embarrassing, so you try to dismiss it as totally useless. It isn't.
Like I said to the others. Try again and do it properly.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #643 on: October 02, 2014, 10:17:18 AM »
Sometimes I can't help but to think that you don't understand what "thinking for yourself" really means.  Free thinking is not permission to say that everyone is wrong without needing to prove why they're wrong.
That's fine what you think, markjo. it's called free thinking. It doesn't mean you're correct but at least you use free thought.
You probably use more free thought than most of the round Earth crew, you just maybe don't quite realise it when you play devils advocate.

You have much more potential to question the indoctrination of science theories ingrained into the minds of ever willing target audiences.

?

blnjms

• Just another RE'er
« Reply #644 on: October 02, 2014, 10:47:29 AM »
That's fine what you think, markjo. it's called free thinking. It doesn't mean you're correct but at least you use free thought.
You probably use more free thought than most of the round Earth crew, you just maybe don't quite realise it when you play devils advocate.

You have much more potential to question the indoctrination of science theories ingrained into the minds of ever willing target audiences.

What I don't understand, Scepti, is your hostility to science. FET was the conspiracy until RET was proven. The Catholic Church hung onto it as long as it could before being proven wrong. I don't see how discovering your earth, solar system and the universe around you is conspiratorial. It was a process of discovery, not made-up. Sorry, Scepti, but your time is up in my mind. You've given it your best and it fell flat (pun intended!).

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #645 on: October 02, 2014, 10:58:38 AM »
What I don't understand, Scepti, is your hostility to science. FET was the conspiracy until RET was proven. The Catholic Church hung onto it as long as it could before being proven wrong. I don't see how discovering your earth, solar system and the universe around you is conspiratorial. It was a process of discovery, not made-up. Sorry, Scepti, but your time is up in my mind. You've given it your best and it fell flat (pun intended!).
If my time is up in your mind, there is no need for any further correspondence from you, is there?
Nice chatting with you whilst you tried your best (and failed) to convince me of the fallacy that is the rotating globe. :)

« Reply #646 on: October 02, 2014, 11:10:37 AM »

Explain yourself properly and I'll observe.
OK, you can't show any problems with the maths, so we will take that line of debate as finished.  The space shuttle will experience an average of 1.6g whilst burning from 0 to 17,000 mph.

What's your next bullshit objection to the space program?
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #647 on: October 02, 2014, 11:38:25 AM »

Thanks (I think).  However, as a free thinker challenging the orthodoxy of science, you can't just say that the indoctrinated are wrong.  Indoctrination, in and of itself, is not necessarily a bad thing.  You need to be able to explain where the indoctrination went wrong.  That means that if someone's math is wrong, then show them where they went wrong.  After all, how can someone learn from their mistakes if they don't think that they made any?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #648 on: October 02, 2014, 11:41:26 AM »

Explain yourself properly and I'll observe.
OK, you can't show any problems with the maths, so we will take that line of debate as finished.  The space shuttle will experience an average of 1.6g whilst burning from 0 to 17,000 mph.

What's your next bullshit objection to the space program?
As long as we are on the understanding that your 1.6g is a complete and utter load of bullshit, we can move on with things.
Next time do not insult me with silly maths, crabby. I'm a genius for a reason and I don't take kindly to having my genius mind insulted by people that cannot use common sense maths.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #649 on: October 02, 2014, 11:51:11 AM »

Thanks (I think).  However, as a free thinker challenging the orthodoxy of science, you can't just say that the indoctrinated are wrong.  Indoctrination, in and of itself, is not necessarily a bad thing.  You need to be able to explain where the indoctrination went wrong.  That means that if someone's math is wrong, then show them where they went wrong.  After all, how can someone learn from their mistakes if they don't think that they made any?
Indoctrination does not have to be wrong. There will be a hell of a lot of indoctrinated stuff even in schools that are the truth or as close to it as possible.
Indoctrination is not a bad thing if it's done with a legitimate reason in mind for the good of people, and in many cases, it is.

It's actually needed, whether it comes from schools or parents, as long as it's for benefit and not for hampering real history of future science.

That being said, I have a serious...and I mean, serious issue with the history of science and the present day science being taught in SOME aspects, not ALL.
These aspects are the ones I challenge whether they are deemed right or wrong by whoever - and I will not under any circumstances be beaten down by people following a set pattern instilled into their psyche, who have no other interest but to follow it to the letter.

Having said that. It's why I gave you the compliment, because at the very least you do play devils advocate many times. Ok, you're slightly biased towards the globe side, I understand that - and you're slightly biased towards the official lines of science. I also understand that. The good thing about you, though, is, you do see both sides and that's fair enough in my book.
Not many do that.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #650 on: October 02, 2014, 11:55:34 AM »
FET was the conspiracy until RET was proven. The Catholic Church hung onto it as long as it could before being proven wrong.
Incorrect.  You're probably thinking about Ptolemaic geocentrism, which was a round earth cosmology.

As long as we are on the understanding that your 1.6g is a complete and utter load of bullshit, we can move on with things.
Again, calling yourself a free thinker doesn't give you the right to say that Jimmy is wrong without explaining exactly why he's wrong.

Next time do not insult me with silly maths, crabby. I'm a genius for a reason and I don't take kindly to having my genius mind insulted by people that cannot use common sense maths.
If you want to call yourself a genius, don't be surprised if people expect you to prove it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #651 on: October 02, 2014, 12:02:47 PM »
FET was the conspiracy until RET was proven. The Catholic Church hung onto it as long as it could before being proven wrong.
Incorrect.  You're probably thinking about Ptolemaic geocentrism, which was a round earth cosmology.

Again, calling yourself a free thinker doesn't give you the right to say that Jimmy is wrong without explaining exactly why he's wrong.

If you want to call yourself a genius, don't be surprised if people expect you to prove it.
First of all, it should be obvious why crabby is wrong, so I'll let him and whoever else stew on that for a good while before I show why.

Also, I don't need to prove my genius on a forum. I'm known as a genius to my work force. Some even - to this very day when I walk into the place, ask me how I can be such a genius inventor of exceptional things, as they can't seem to fathom out how to wire a plug, let alone think of the genius stuff I have thought up, built and get used to this very day and have done for many many years.

I just have a gift, what else can I say without it looking like I'm bragging.  :D

« Reply #652 on: October 02, 2014, 12:05:50 PM »

First of all, it should be obvious why crabby is wrong, so I'll let him and whoever else stew on that for a good while before I show why.

Also, I don't need to prove my genius on a forum. I'm known as a genius to my work force. Some even - to this very day when I walk into the place, ask me how I can be such a genius inventor of exceptional things, as they can't seem to fathom out how to wire a plug, let alone think of the genius stuff I have thought up, built and get used to this very day and have done for many many years.

I just have a gift, what else can I say without it looking like I'm bragging.  :D
Please show your calculations.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #653 on: October 02, 2014, 12:08:41 PM »
Just because it's obvious to you, that doesn't mean that it's obvious to anyone else.  Perhaps you're so far above us mere mortals that you forget how dense we can be.

No, it doesn't look like you're bragging, it looks like you're bullshitting.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #654 on: October 02, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »

Please show your calculations.
You type me a 1000 word essay on the reason why I should show my calculations and I will do that.
The essay must be in your own words.
The reason why I'm asking you to do this, is because you always pop into a thread and type about 5 or 6 words. I find that not enough and you've done this for far too long, so make up for it and I will provide the explanation and calculation. Remember, I'll be counting, so make it just over 1000 just to be on the safe side.  :D
crabby might have a different calculation for the 1000 and try and tell me that 6 words is 1000 or something. ;)

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #655 on: October 02, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »

Just because it's obvious to you, that doesn't mean that it's obvious to anyone else.  Perhaps you're so far above us mere mortals that you forget how dense we can be.
None of you are dense. Misguided? - some are, yes.

It may look like that but you can't actually say that as a truth, can you?

« Reply #656 on: October 02, 2014, 12:15:19 PM »

It's not obvious to me. I eagerly await enlightenment.

We'll remind you of your promise from time to time if necessary.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #657 on: October 02, 2014, 12:19:29 PM »

It's not obvious to me. I eagerly await enlightenment.

We'll remind you of your promise from time to time if necessary.
Oh, don't fret over that. I will provide you with calculations and explanations starting from the ground up. The whole lot, in time.
I would just like you and the others to revise what you are giving out as a truth. It's wrong - very wrong.
I understand you want to aid in keeping space rocketry alive but you really need to be truthful to yourselves. I'm sure you all want the real truth, don;t you? instead of arguing in favour of a  pack of lies, which; granted, you may not be fully aware of.

« Reply #658 on: October 02, 2014, 12:51:16 PM »
Can you cut the BS and just get on with the calculations and explanations.

Personally, I doubt you can show anything meaningful, and the "in time" means you're hoping that this gets forgotten and you've weaseled out of another empty boast. After all, you're the guy who, just yesterday, was insisting that the Shuttle had to accelerate at 5 mi/s2 to reach 17,000 mi/hr but couldn't back up the claim.  I think I know where that acceleration came from, and it suggests you don't know how to solve these problems. We'll see, though - you may surprise everyone and dazzle us with your brilliance.

We'll remind you of your promise to show the calcs from the ground up if they're not forthcoming. No worries, it's not a bother - I think most of us will be happy to do it.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #659 on: October 02, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »
None of you are dense. Misguided? - some are, yes.
Then guide us, oh wise one.

It may look like that but you can't actually say that as a truth, can you?
Perhaps not, but I would say that it's a pretty safe bet.