Police body cameras

• 3 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Police body cameras
« on: December 28, 2013, 09:20:11 AM »
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/nov/04/california-police-body-cameras-cuts-violence-complaints-rialto

But Rialto's randomised controlled study has seized attention because it offers scientific and encouraging findings: after cameras were introduced in February 2012, public complaints against officers plunged 88% compared with the previous 12 months. Officers' use of force fell by 60%.

"When you know you're being watched you behave a little better. That's just human nature," said Farrar. "As an officer you act a bit more professional, follow the rules a bit better."

Video clips provided by the department showed dramatic chases on foot you can hear the officer panting and by car that ended with arrests, and without injury. Complaints often stemmed not from operational issues but "officers' mouths", said the chief. "With a camera they are more conscious of how they speak and how they treat people."

The same applied to the public; once informed they were being filmed, even drunk or agitated people tended to become more polite, Farrar said. Those who lodged frivolous or bogus complaints about officers tended to retract them when shown video of the incidents. "It's like, 'Oh, I hadn't seen it that way.'"

Cameras made officers more careful about using force. "It's still part of the business, they still do it. But now they make better use of what we call verbal judo."

Fewer complaints and calmer policing, said Farrar, would reduce lawsuits and expensive payouts.

I think this is a fantastic idea. The police in Rialto are responsible for turning the cameras on once they get a call, or something happens, so they are not constantly monitored... but I think it might be a good idea to make police in departments that have a lot of trouble with police brutality and harassment of citizens to be recorded the whole time they're on the job.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Re: Police body cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
Allow the people to record traffic stops, home encounters, etc too.

Also, require the officer to help re-pack your vehicle and/or pay for any damages to vehicle after a non-consentual search.

Hold the officer/dispatcher/who ever is at fault- individually responsible financially (instead of the dept./taxpayer) for damages resulting from 'breaking down the wrong door'.

Confiscating large amounts of cash because they 'suspect you might use it for drugs' needs to be illegal unless there's actual proof of drug use/traffic.

Do away with speeding ticket, etc, quotas.

Ensure officers are well versed and understand concealed carry and other gun laws/definitions.

Probably some others I can't think of at the moment.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
Oh, I have some.

Charge them with crimes and prosecute them just like anyone else when they are caught committing a crime.

Fire them when they are incompetent.

Make them take firearms training on a regular basis.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:44:24 PM »
Officially, they already don't have ticket quotas.  It just shows up on their job performance when they don't have x number of tickets written.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.