How does GPS and google earth work if the earth is flat?

• 19 Replies
How does GPS and google earth work if the earth is flat?
« on: June 13, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »
Seeing as the FAQ didn't really answer this question perhaps someone would answer this?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: How does GPS and google earth work if the earth is flat?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 05:51:43 PM »
Using the search function and lurking moar are useful as well seeing as this topic has been discussed quite a few times.  I'm trying to decide which is worse, an angry noob or a lazy noob. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 05:53:38 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 06:16:04 PM »
Oh wow I didn't expect to be insulted already  ::)

What I have taken away from my lurking so far is that the FE theory is built on the existence of things that no one  has seen and a impossibly large yet undocumented conspiracy consisting of thousands of sinister people, also "balloons" that can take unbelievably clear pictures of the whole earth including everyone's house without being spotted once.

As well as the united states government being able to invade hostile country's airspace with slow moving balloons without being shot down or captured once.
Oh and did I mention the thousands of ground stations the u.s has all over the world without any country even China or Russia exposing us.

Jack

• Administrator

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 06:50:19 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolite
That wouldn't work.
GPS gives worldwide cover, meaning you'd have to have many planes and transmitters, not to mention the flight path of planes is not precise enough to give accurate GPS readings. Plus, as GPS is 24/7, they would have to be a rediculous amount of planes in the air all the time. How come they have never been noticed? There would have to be many airbases with thousands of planes stashed away.

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 07:08:56 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudolite
refer to matzy's post.
Also I would  just like to add the cost of all this alone would be enormous not even close to nasa's budget  leaving us with no motive no evidence and not even ONE whistle blower in this  massive conspiracy.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 07:57:13 PM »
No more debate?

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 08:04:53 PM »
No more debate?
Oh no, don't expect a reply. They can't give you one.

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 09:43:35 PM »
No more debate?
Oh no, don't expect a reply. They can't give you one.
Yeah  :P that's what I thought thanks for the support though.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 09:47:18 PM »
That wouldn't work.
GPS gives worldwide cover, meaning you'd have to have many planes and transmitters, not to mention the flight path of planes is not precise enough to give accurate GPS readings. Plus, as GPS is 24/7, they would have to be a rediculous amount of planes in the air all the time. How come they have never been noticed? There would have to be many airbases with thousands of planes stashed away.

In the Flat Earth model it's not necessary for thousands of Pseudolites and Stratellites to provide GPS coverage because there is no "curvature" to block the signals like in the Round Earth model. The limitation of the signals would only be dependent on how powerful they are.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:49:00 PM by Tom Bishop »

parsec

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 09:49:40 PM »
I do not think it is the curvature that limits the area of coverage of GPS satellites, but it is the radiation pattern of the antennae.

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 10:06:02 PM »
That wouldn't work.

In the Flat Earth model it's not necessary for thousands of Pseudolites and Stratellites to provide GPS coverage because there is no "curvature" to block the signals like in the Round Earth model. The limitation of the signals would only be dependent on how powerful they are.
Any device that is so powerful that the curvature of the earth is a factor, the curvature itself is literally a non-factor.
Also could you address some of my previous concerns in more then just a sentence?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 10:58:10 PM »
Any device that is so powerful that the curvature of the earth is a factor, the curvature itself is literally a non-factor.

Yeah it is. The government maintainers of GPS specifically say that curvature of the earth is the prime limiting factor for why multiple GPS satellites are needed in space to surround the earth.

Also could you address some of my previous concerns in more then just a sentence?

They were addressed well enough.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 11:44:03 PM »

Yeah it is. The government maintainers of GPS specifically say that curvature of the earth is the prime limiting factor for why multiple GPS satellites are needed in space to surround the earth.

Well, that and the fact that you need 3 sources for trilateration and a 4th for error correction.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2009, 11:56:05 PM »
The conspiracy controls the internet and all comunication devices since immemorial times.  8)

?

Pope Zera

• A Firm Believer in NOTHING
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2009, 02:31:12 AM »
Someone mind posting the link to Google FlatEarth?  I'd like to do a comparison of the images.

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2009, 07:46:32 AM »

You clearly have no idea on GPS. The strength of the signals needed to cover the range would be rediculously huge. We're talking Kilowatts.
To then say that hundreds of planes are then carrying these generators is absurd due to the cost, and the fact that a planes flight path is not accurate enough to give sub-meter precision.
Plus how come all these planes are not spotted? Where are the kept as they would have to refuel? And what the hell would the point be as this scheme would cost billions to maintain, if it was feasible, which is isn't.
You didn't address his points well enough, you just skipped over them with blind ignorance.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2009, 09:05:38 AM »
The conspiracy controls the internet and all comunication devices since immemorial times.  8)

The phrase is 'time immemorial', and GPS is only about 40 years old (from when development started).
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2009, 11:57:16 AM »

No they weren't you never addressed why no other country's have exposed  us, how the conspiracy keeps this huge operation a secret or even given any real proof a conspiracy exists at all.

Ever heard of the burden of proof?

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2009, 12:03:15 PM »

You clearly have no idea on GPS. The strength of the signals needed to cover the range would be rediculously huge. We're talking Kilowatts.
To then say that hundreds of planes are then carrying these generators is absurd due to the cost, and the fact that a planes flight path is not accurate enough to give sub-meter precision.
Plus how come all these planes are not spotted? Where are the kept as they would have to refuel? And what the hell would the point be as this scheme would cost billions to maintain, if it was feasible, which is isn't.
You didn't address his points well enough, you just skipped over them with blind ignorance.

Wow I just noticed I didn't have to reply as mazty summed it up perfectly  ;D.