Did you know that 30,000 people a year visit Antarctica?

• 53 Replies

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
Re: Did you know that 30,000 people a year visit Antarctica?
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2007, 06:36:28 PM »
It's never been claimed that they were 150 miles high!  ::)
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2007, 06:55:59 PM »
Actually, if we visit that USGS website Eric linked we see the following "satellite image" of Antarctica:

http://terraweb.wr.usgs.gov

The USGS is claiming that this is an image from a satellite. However, the very same image appears on NASA's World Wind promo page:

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/screenshots-bm.html

Since World Wind is nothing more than a popular 3D model of the earth, the claims of this image being a satellite shot are false. Therefore either the USGS is lying when they say that it is a Satellite shot, or NASA is lying when they try to pass it off as one. Either way it's a Conspiracy. The trickery and deception never ends.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:05:33 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2007, 07:43:03 PM »
Or maybe your just slightly delusional.  And if we know that there is an Ice Wall why would the government try to hide it from us?
Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2007, 07:43:50 PM »
Since World Wind is nothing more than a popular 3D model of the earth, the claims of this image being a satellite shot are false. Therefore either the USGS is lying when they say that it is a Satellite shot, or NASA is lying when they try to pass it off as one. Either way it's a Conspiracy. The trickery and deception never ends.
No, it's not a conspiracy. The evidence from NASA is peer-reviewed and accepted by the scientific community. Why don't you open the doors, get into the real world, and accept reality?

By the way, you wouldn't even know there's actually a conspiracy if it is so hidden from you. Therefore, your post is just an assumption which, in any case, is inaccurate.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 07:45:31 PM by Jack- »

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2007, 08:23:04 PM »
By the way, you wouldn't even know there's actually a conspiracy if it is so hidden from you. Therefore, your post is just an assumption which, in any case, is inaccurate.

Are you denying that the cloudless Antarctica seen on the USGS website is the exact same Antarctica as seen on NASA's world Wind website?

Jack

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2007, 12:34:36 AM »
Are you denying that the cloudless Antarctica seen on the USGS website is the exact same Antarctica as seen on NASA's world Wind website?
Nope, I ain't denying anything. They are the same. The pictures show the same continent: A N T A R C T I C A. Both picture are taken from space. There's nothing 3D or special in them.

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2007, 04:51:10 PM »
so once again, Tom's entire argument is "everyone in NASA always lies and only i tell the truth".

yeah, right.

reminds me of a scene in Star Trek (the original series):
Kirk: every thing Harry says is a lie.
Harry: he's telling the truth!
robot blows a fuse.

Gabe

« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2007, 05:11:08 PM »
so once again, Tom's entire argument is "everyone in NASA always lies and only i tell the truth".

yeah, right.

reminds me of a scene in Star Trek (the original series):
Kirk: every thing Harry says is a lie.
Harry: he's telling the truth!
robot blows a fuse.

I saw that one! There was a fat guy who was a human too!  :o
He was stuck there with dem robots!
Quote from: Tom Bishop
There is no evidence for an infinite Earth.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The Earth is infinite.
Warning, you have just lowered your IQ by reading my sig.

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2007, 12:31:18 PM »
Edge of the known world: http://i23.tinypic.com/nwkp5t.jpg

really.  what's all this then:

that photo of the ross ice shelf in it's proper context

more complete context (text search for "B-15A iceberg edge")

bishop knowingly passes off a photo of the ross ice shelf that he isolated from context, as the edge of the world.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2007, 02:25:13 PM »
really.  what's all this then:

that photo of the ross ice shelf in it's proper context

more complete context (text search for "B-15A iceberg edge")

bishop knowingly passes off a photo of the ross ice shelf that he isolated from context, as the edge of the world.

Yes. The series of Ice Shelves which surround the Antarctic coast is what is known as the Ice Wall. Where's the contradiction?

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2007, 02:28:14 PM »
oh, just the facts that the shelves are NOT 60,000 miles wide, and that there are HUGE gaps that would supposedly let all air escape, just for starters!

oh yes, and your conspiracy supposedly never lets anyone see the ice wall, so the fact that pictures of it exist proves there is no conspiracy!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2007, 02:39:11 PM »
oh, just the facts that the shelves are NOT 60,000 miles wide, and that there are HUGE gaps that would supposedly let all air escape, just for starters!

That's true. The entire coast of the Ice Wall is not one single complete wall.There are actually a series of thousand mile long walls, divided by Transantarctic Mountain Ranges up to 11,500 feet high.

The Ice Wall is a natural formation, a thick mass of floating ice that is attached to land, formed from and fed by tongues of glaciers extending outward from deep within the uncharted tundra into sheltered waters. Where there are no strong currents, the ice becomes partly grounded on the sea bottom and attaches itself to rocks and islands. The wall is pushed forward into the sea by glacial pressure until its forward growth is terminated.

The weight of The Ice Walls are so enormous that they have literally pressed the land two thirds of a mile (one kilometer) into the earth. Under the massive forces of their own weight, the ice walls deform and drag themselves outward. Very large glaciers called ice streams flow through them continually, transporting ice from deep inland out to the sea.

oh yes, and your conspiracy supposedly never lets anyone see the ice wall, so the fact that pictures of it exist proves there is no conspiracy!

Some Flat Earth proponents believe that there is another larger ice wall at an unknown distance beyond the Antarctic coast which has never been discovered by man. This hypothetical wall is tens of thousands of feet high and contains the atmosphere. Beyond this wall exists space.

Other Flat Earth proponents believe that the Antarctic tundra stretches perpetually. The earth cuts the universe in half in this hypothesis.

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2007, 02:55:39 PM »

That's true. The entire coast of the Ice Wall is not one single complete wall.There are actually a series of thousand mile long walls, divided by Transantarctic Mountain Ranges up to 11,500 feet high.

The Ice Wall is a natural formation, a thick mass of floating ice that is attached to land, formed from and fed by tongues of glaciers extending outward from deep within the uncharted tundra into sheltered waters. Where there are no strong currents, the ice becomes partly grounded on the sea bottom and attaches itself to rocks and islands. The wall is pushed forward into the sea by glacial pressure until its forward growth is terminated.

The weight of The Ice Walls are so enormous that they have literally pressed the land two thirds of a mile (one kilometer) into the earth. Under the massive forces of their own weight, the ice walls deform and drag themselves outward. Very large glaciers called ice streams flow through them continually, transporting ice from deep inland out to the sea.

Some Flat Earth proponents believe that there is another larger ice wall at an unknown distance beyond the Antarctic coast which has never been discovered by man. This hypothetical wall is tens of thousands of feet high and contains the atmosphere. Beyond this wall exists space.

Other Flat Earth proponents believe that the Antarctic tundra stretches perpetually. The earth cuts the universe in half in this hypothesis.

so when your lies are called, you bluff again by changing your story.  now, suddenly, the magical end-of-the-world ice wall isn't so special.  it's just ordinary glaciers pushing out to sea, often interrupted.  so why bother going on about them and calling it the end of the known world, if anyone can land on top or sail around and walk beyond them?  now, suddenly, there is a real ice wall, bigger and further in, than this rather pedestrian "edge of the known world".

are you willing then to concede that your *first* "end of the known world ice wall" is nothing of the sort, is not contiguous, and anyone could fly, climb, snowcat, or walk beyond it - without fear of being shot or detained by ice wall security forces?

« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2007, 04:03:26 PM »
I love how you rape people.

« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2007, 04:06:08 PM »
cpt_bthimes is the man!

?

Tristan Lachman

• Flat Earther
« Reply #45 on: December 11, 2007, 04:24:55 PM »
Both picture are taken from space. There's nothing 3D or special in them.

It's not so obvious for Antarctica, but do you believe this picture has been taken from space too?

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/graphics/screenshots/00.jpg

What about this very realistic mountain?

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/graphics/screenshots/11.jpg

« Reply #46 on: December 11, 2007, 04:34:51 PM »
Both picture are taken from space. There's nothing 3D or special in them.

It's not so obvious for Antarctica, but do you believe this picture has been taken from space too?

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/graphics/screenshots/00.jpg

What about this very realistic mountain?

http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/graphics/screenshots/11.jpg

What about those 2 very unrealistic pictures?

?

Tristan Lachman

• Flat Earther
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2007, 04:37:31 PM »
What about those 2 very unrealistic pictures?

Check the previous page.

divito the truthist

• The Elder Ones
  • Relativist, Existentialist, Nihilist
« Reply #48 on: December 11, 2007, 04:40:06 PM »
I did...and your post still makes no sense.
Our existentialist, relativist, nihilist, determinist, fascist, eugenicist moderator hath returned.
Quote from: Fortuna
objectively good

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2007, 05:34:29 PM »
so when your lies are called, you bluff again by changing your story.  now, suddenly, the magical end-of-the-world ice wall isn't so special.  it's just ordinary glaciers pushing out to sea, often interrupted.  so why bother going on about them and calling it the end of the known world, if anyone can land on top or sail around and walk beyond them?  now, suddenly, there is a real ice wall, bigger and further in, than this rather pedestrian "edge of the known world".

are you willing then to concede that your *first* "end of the known world ice wall" is nothing of the sort, is not contiguous, and anyone could fly, climb, snowcat, or walk beyond it - without fear of being shot or detained by ice wall security forces?

I never changed my story. I say that the Ice Wall is the series Ice Shelves at the coast of Antarctica. It's the edge of the known world because very few people have explored that region. The majority of mankind stays in the warmer, lusher climates.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 05:42:19 PM by Tom Bishop »

?

eric bloedow

« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2007, 05:38:29 PM »
i suppose next you will say there are an infinite number of ice walls beyond that one!

sheesh...

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2007, 09:17:58 PM »

I never changed my story. I say that the Ice Wall is the series Ice Shelves at the coast of Antarctica. It's the edge of the known world because very few people have explored that region. The majority of mankind stays in the warmer, lusher climates.

i rest my case, your honor.

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2007, 03:40:06 AM »
This idea of glaciers feeding the ice sheet is rather interesting. The glaciers would need to be supplied with snow at their source, lest they dry up. This means that they would have to have a fairly active weather system.

The problem is that out in this vast plain of ice that is the top of the inner ice wall, there are no celestial mechanics to cause the weather. There's no sun to bring water up into clouds and to generate wind to shift them to the top of the glacier.

I expect that the ice shelf would be a very quiet place. As for the 'snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes' You mentioned earlier in the thread, there seems no chance.

?

cpt_bthimes

• exposer of lies
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2007, 09:20:31 AM »
This idea of glaciers feeding the ice sheet is rather interesting. The glaciers would need to be supplied with snow at their source, lest they dry up. This means that they would have to have a fairly active weather system.

The problem is that out in this vast plain of ice that is the top of the inner ice wall, there are no celestial mechanics to cause the weather. There's no sun to bring water up into clouds and to generate wind to shift them to the top of the glacier.

I expect that the ice shelf would be a very quiet place. As for the 'snow and hail, howling winds, and indescribable storms and hurricanes' You mentioned earlier in the thread, there seems no chance.

good points.  however, the interior of the real antarctica is also light on snow.  it's technically a desert, so that's what i would argue if i were an fe'er.  it does snow and accumulate over time, and the coast gets more weather.  it can also get very windy there, though i don't know whether that is from local effects or more global patterns...i'm sure someone knows.

but there has certainly never been a hurricane on or around antarctica, in fact it is categorically impossible.  and there has never been an observed thunderstorm (required for hail) except along the northernmost islands.  so good job on picking apart bishop's (yet again) complete bs.