GLOBAL CONSPIRACY

• 1592 Replies
?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
Re: GLOBAL CONSPIRACY
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2014, 11:13:15 AM »
For example, in latitude of London (51°30′N, 0°08′W) length of the day light at July 1th is 16 h, 33 minutes, but the maximal extent of usage of sundial at that latitude would be 12 hours.
Are you claiming that there are over 4 hours a day when the sun does not cast a shadow?

If the Earth were round, then that would be the case!
How, on any shaped earth, could the sun be visible and not cast a shadow?

More precisely, if the Earth were rotund then the sun couldn't cast shadows at such wide range (of angles) as it does on the flat Earth!

If the earth were flat then night would be an impossibility.

In any case I told you how to produce the effects that science claims. Place the sun 93 million miles away. I wasn't able to make the experiment to scale myself but I did confirm that increasing the distance increased the angle.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #61 on: November 24, 2014, 02:31:54 PM »
For example, in latitude of London (51°30′N, 0°08′W) length of the day light at July 1th is 16 h, 33 minutes, but the maximal extent of usage of sundial at that latitude would be 12 hours.
Are you claiming that there are over 4 hours a day when the sun does not cast a shadow?

More precisely, if the Earth were rotund then the sun couldn't cast shadows at such wide range (of angles) as it does on the flat Earth!

In any case I told you how to produce the effects that science claims. Place the sun 93 million miles away. I wasn't able to make the experiment to scale myself but I did confirm that increasing the distance increased the angle.

Download it " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"> , turn repeat on, watch and think...

You flunked out of basic training, maybe you want try to pass this one:

FLAT EARTH COMPASS CONFUSION : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

In addition:
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:43:02 PM by cikljamas »
"I can't breathe" George Floyd RIP

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #62 on: November 24, 2014, 02:42:14 PM »

Download it " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"> , turn repeat on, watch and think...

You flunked out of basic training, maybe you want try to pass this one:

FLAT EARTH COMPASS CONFUSION : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

How many times do you have to be shown wrong in the same thread. Are you sceptimatic?

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #63 on: November 24, 2014, 02:52:06 PM »
You flunked out of this also:

You flunked out of all these also:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62199.msg1636045#msg1636045

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #64 on: November 24, 2014, 02:55:27 PM »

I couldn't even make it 10 seconds into that video. Completely wrong.  Are you that confused that you can't handle the notion that under the Earth's North pole is a magnetic south pole? Your articles in your video explain it just fine. A magnet has a north and south pole. Magnetic field lines move from the magnetic north pole to the south pole.

What is the confusion? When the wiki article says "North magnetic pole", it is referring to a magnetic pole in the north. The name does not mean the north pole of a magnet. Same goes for the south magnetic pole. It's just a magnetic pole in the south. Doesn't mean it is a south pole of a magnet.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #65 on: November 24, 2014, 02:58:32 PM »

You flunked out of all these also:

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62199.msg1636045#msg1636045
This argument of your was already destroyed earlier this year. We established you know nothing about photography.

So maybe instead of posting old arguments, you could answer some of ours? There is quite a few you chose not to answer.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #66 on: November 24, 2014, 03:25:28 PM »
He just ignores rebuttals and then moves on to the next argument over and over again. Apparently, old arguments that I have not seen no less.

I'm with sokural, instead of bringing up new arguments, answer ours. Let's start with how it's impossible for night to exist on a flat earth.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #67 on: November 24, 2014, 04:34:47 PM »
By the way clicky, did you happen to notice that the gnomon on sundials is not perpendicular to the ground like your matchstick is. Think about that.

ausGeoff

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2014, 06:57:26 PM »
By the way clicky, did you happen to notice that the gnomon on sundials is not perpendicular to the ground like your matchstick is. Think about that.

I note that cikljamas also chose not to address the question my 18-hour sundial image that I posted earlier.  I wonder why?

And he's still repeatedly posting that 100-year old pseudo-scientific drivel of Wilbur Glenn Voliva.   ;D

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2014, 07:20:18 PM »

I note that cikljamas also chose not to address the question my 18-hour sundial image that I posted earlier.  I wonder why?

Because its all about you  ::)

And he's still repeatedly posting that 100-year old pseudo-scientific drivel of Wilbur Glenn Voliva.   ;D

Fallacy.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2014, 07:44:08 PM »

What does an animation of an 18 hour sundial prove? Clickijamas was trying to show that if the earth is round, the shadow of a perpendicular stick doesn't go below the line of latitude that it's on. He wasn't saying sundials don't show more than 12 hours. His problem is the assumption that sundials use perpendicular sticks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:16:01 PM by rottingroom »

ausGeoff

« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2014, 11:05:10 PM »
What does an animation of an 18 hour sundial prove? Clickijamas was trying to show that if the earth is round, the shadow of a perpendicular stick doesn't go below the line of latitude that it's on. He wasn't saying sundials don't show more than 12 hours.

I quote cikljamas verbatim:  It means that not one sundial on the round earth could measure more than 12 hours of time.

And I'm a little uncertain as to why you're seemingly helping cikljamas "prove" his case.  Everything he says is absolute bullshit.  Haven't you figured that out yet?

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2014, 02:02:47 AM »
In another thread http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62199.msg1637435#msg1637435 i gave an explanation which perfectly fits with this "sundial case" and explain it away completely:

...i thought he wants to say that the sun is always (at any time of the day) in the south, and the truth is that it is not. But if the HC theory were true, the sun should be generally always south for the observer at latitude 45 degree N (where i live). However, in the summer the sun rises NORTH-EAST, traverses the sky in southern arc, and at the end of the day the sun sets NORTH-WEST (although significantly less north in comparision with a sunrise)...The point of this argument is that the arc of the Sun (in the summer) should go in the direction SOUTH-NORTH-SOUTH, and from my own experience i can tell you with certainty that the Sun goes in a direction NORTH-SOUTH-NORTH... Totally opposite from what it should be if in the HC theory we could find a shred of truth !!!

Well, here we have to give additional clarification regarding above (bold) words: If the Sun stayed always south for the observer at latitude 45 degree N what consequences would this have for our "sundial case"??? It (rotundity of the globe) would cause exactly that kind of consequences which i have proved (with my experiment) that it really would be the case if the Earth were rotund!!!

Another example that has been taken out from here: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62346.msg1641948#msg1641948

...the zenith stars will gradually recede to the north-west. If we do the same on Woodhouse Moor, near Leeds, or on any of the mountain tops in Yorkshire or Derbyshire, the same phenomenon is observed. The same thing may be seen from the top of Primrose Hill, near Regent's Park, London; from Hampstead Heath; or Shooter's Hill, near Woolwich. If we remain all night, we shall observe the same stars rising towards our position from the north-east, showing that the path of all the stars between ourselves and the northern centre move round the north pole-star as a common centre of rotation; just as they must do over a plane such as the earth is proved to be.

You get it?

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62199.msg1638336#msg1638336

Everything he says is absolute bullshit.

Since these words came out from your mouth, i consider them as a compliment!

Nice lesson about insults:

If someone calls you ugly it’s because their own looks are important to them. If someone calls you an amateur it’s because their own importance is important to them. If someone says you have a nasaly voice it’s because how they sound is important to them. Insults like these come from vanity.

With insults – the more harm the insulter is trying to do the higher the value of insult they will give. That is, the higher value is to the insult giver not necessarily the insult receiver.

So… next time you get insulted don’t just ignore it – consider what it tells you about the giver.

So, when ausGeoff says that everything i say is "absolute bullshit", what it really means is that everything i say is ABSOLUTE TRUTH!!!

Thanks ausGeoff!

@ ausGeoff, Download it " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"> , turn repeat on, watch and think...  ;)

Oh, i forgot to add: ...and enjoy the music...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 02:06:08 AM by cikljamas »

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2014, 05:46:20 AM »
What does an animation of an 18 hour sundial prove? Clickijamas was trying to show that if the earth is round, the shadow of a perpendicular stick doesn't go below the line of latitude that it's on. He wasn't saying sundials don't show more than 12 hours.

I quote cikljamas verbatim:  It means that not one sundial on the round earth could measure more than 12 hours of time.

And I'm a little uncertain as to why you're seemingly helping cikljamas "prove" his case.  Everything he says is absolute bullshit.  Haven't you figured that out yet?

I am not trying to help him prove his case Geoffrey. I'm just trying to make clear what he claimed and what he did not claim. In the case of the part you bolded, you are completely misinterpreting it. Again, he is not saying that sundials don't have more than 12 hours on them. He is saying that if the earth is round, then the sun will not MEASURE more than 12 hours on them.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2014, 06:06:51 AM »
In another thread http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62199.msg1637435#msg1637435 i gave an explanation which perfectly fits with this "sundial case" and explain it away completely:

...i thought he wants to say that the sun is always (at any time of the day) in the south, and the truth is that it is not. But if the HC theory were true, the sun should be generally always south for the observer at latitude 45 degree N (where i live). However, in the summer the sun rises NORTH-EAST, traverses the sky in southern arc, and at the end of the day the sun sets NORTH-WEST (although significantly less north in comparision with a sunrise)...The point of this argument is that the arc of the Sun (in the summer) should go in the direction SOUTH-NORTH-SOUTH, and from my own experience i can tell you with certainty that the Sun goes in a direction NORTH-SOUTH-NORTH... Totally opposite from what it should be if in the HC theory we could find a shred of truth !!!

Well, here we have to give additional clarification regarding above (bold) words: If the Sun stayed always south for the observer at latitude 45 degree N what consequences would this have for our "sundial case"??? It (rotundity of the globe) would cause exactly that kind of consequences which i have proved (with my experiment) that it really would be the case if the Earth were rotund!!!

Another example that has been taken out from here: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62346.msg1641948#msg1641948

...the zenith stars will gradually recede to the north-west. If we do the same on Woodhouse Moor, near Leeds, or on any of the mountain tops in Yorkshire or Derbyshire, the same phenomenon is observed. The same thing may be seen from the top of Primrose Hill, near Regent's Park, London; from Hampstead Heath; or Shooter's Hill, near Woolwich. If we remain all night, we shall observe the same stars rising towards our position from the north-east, showing that the path of all the stars between ourselves and the northern centre move round the north pole-star as a common centre of rotation; just as they must do over a plane such as the earth is proved to be.

You get it?

I don't know how linking to another thread where you were shown wrong repeatedly, just like this thread equates to flunking out. Take that up with Alpha2Omega.

As far as this thread goes, we are talking about your video where you tried to show that the shadow on a round earth never goes below the line of latitude that it is on. This can be shown to be wrong because you made 2 mistakes.

1. Your gnomon was perpendicular to the surface. A gnomon needs to be parallel with the earth's tilt. Like all of the image search results on this page:

Pictures of sundials

2. Your light source in the video is not far enough away from the globe. At earths scale this would need to be 93 million miles away.

As far as all this other talk about where you view the sun and where you don't. I invite you to play around with this interactive model for as long as it takes you to understand hc theory.

http://astro.unl.edu/naap/motion1/animations/seasons_ecliptic.swf

Notice, how if you put the observer at 45° N and then put the earth on the right, the sun is below the observer, yet the shadows go below the line of latitude that the observer is on.

You could argue (by neglecting something highly important) that it makes no sense that the suns rays come from a place that the sun does not appear to be, but you would be neglecting the suns enormous size compared to earth and the distance that it is from earth. This means that rays that hit the earths surface (even in locations that are far from each other) are not perfectly parallel, but they are close to parallel. Despite these rays being nearly parallel, we see shadows that are not even close to parallel with each other because of the curvature of earth.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:50:37 AM by rottingroom »

ausGeoff

« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2014, 09:01:43 PM »
So, when ausGeoff says that everything i say is "absolute bullshit", what it really means is that everything i say is ABSOLUTE TRUTH!!!

And this sort of bizarre "logic" illustrates precisely why cikljamas has such an ill-informed and limited understanding of actual geophysics and astrophysics.    ;D

—Thanks for the continued LULZ my friend.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2014, 12:43:42 AM »

And this sort of bizarre "logic" illustrates precisely why cikljamas has such an ill-informed and limited understanding of actual geophysics and astrophysics.    ;D

—Thanks for the continued LULZ my friend.

Modern astrophysics is absolute bullshit and i proved it beyond any (i mean ANY) reasonable doubt!!!
  :-*

Dope dealer Neil deGrasse Tyson quotes Galileo : "The Bible tells you how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go!" : #t=12m02s" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">#t=12m02s

W.L.Craige -What New Atheism really is : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

The Amazing Atheist Meets William Lane Craig on CNN : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

When he prepared the heavens I was there; when he decreed a circle upon the face of the watery deep NWT

When He prepared the heavens, I was there; when He set a circle upon the face of the deep MKJV

When he made ready the heavens I was there: when he put an arch over the face of the deep BBE

When he fixed the Heavens firm, I was there, when he drew a circle on the surface of the deep” JB

I was there when he set the sky in place, when he stretched the horizon across the ocean GNB

When he prepared the Heavens, I was there: when he set a compass upon the face of the depth KJV

When he established the Heavens, I was there,when he drew a circle on the face of the deep RSV

The visions of my head as I lay in bed were these: I saw, and behold, a tree in the midst of the Earth; and its height was great. The tree grew and became strong, and its top reached to Heaven, and it was visible to the end of the whole Earth RSV / KJV

The visions that passed through my head as I lay in bed were these: I saw a tree in the middle of the World; it was very tall. The tree grew taller and stronger, until its top reached the sky and it could be seen from the very ends of the Earth JB

Now the visions of my head upon my bed I happened to be beholding, and,look! a tree in the midst of the Earth, the height of which was immense. The tree grew up and became strong, and its very height finally reached the Heavens, and it was visible to the extremity of the whole Earth. NWT

LuggerSailor

• 12 men on the Moon, 11 of them Scouts.
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2014, 02:49:21 AM »

Modern astrophysics is absolute bullshit and i proved it beyond any (i mean ANY) reasonable doubt!!!
  :

Biblical BS omitted for clarity - It's true, it's written in the buy bull, the buy bull says it's true! [/whine]

The visions of my head as I lay in bed were these: ....

The visions that passed through my head as I lay in bed were these: ...

Now the visions of my head upon my bed I happened to be beholding, and,look! ...

Ooh, dreams trump science then!
LuggerSailor.
Sailor and Navigator.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2014, 06:34:16 AM »

Dope dealer Neil deGrasse Tyson quotes Galileo : "The Bible tells you how to go to heaven, not how the heavens go!" : #t=12m02s" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">#t=12m02s

W.L.Craige -What New Atheism really is : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

The Amazing Atheist Meets William Lane Craig on CNN : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

<snip irrelevant apocryphal section>

You know William Lane Craig believes the Big Bang occured and everything else that constitutes modern astrophysics?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »
I don't mention this in distaste cikljamas. I only mean to be informative and to help you see why your arguments, while clever, are wrong. I think I've fully explained your mistake with gnomon to satisfaction but I also want to make more clear what is meant when I say that the sun's rays, when they hit the earth, are nearly parallel.

Observe the following image:

In this image a sun ray is depicted touching the tops and bottoms of each earth as each earth is represented to get further and further away from the sun. Notice what happens to those sun rays as earth gets further away. The angle (represented by an orange arc to the left of each earth) gets smaller and smaller.

So how small is this angle (in the above image we are talking about the difference in rays between 2 spots that are the entire earth diameter from each other) when the sun is 93 million miles from the earth?

Well let's take a look at this image to get some sense of the scale:

This image utilizes black space to give a sense of the scale but instead of using 100's of rows of black space, it just shows how much a moon unit is (distance from earth to moon) and then mentions that you 395 moon units to get to the sun.

With the information we have, let's determine what the difference in angle is between two sun rays (depicted by orange lines) that are an earths diameter apart:

Let 2Θ be the angle be that angle. Θ will need to be multiplied by 2 because we need a right angle to do the trig so we have cut earth in half to get a right angle.

Earths radius = diameter of earth / 2 = 3959 miles
Earth to sun distance = 93,000,000 miles

Use this calculator: http://www.carbidedepot.com/formulas-trigright.asp

Θ = angle showing difference in rays between top of earth and center of earth = 0.002439°
2Θ = angle showing difference in rats between of earth and bottom = 0.004878°

So between the top of earth and the bottom of earth there is a .004878° difference in the angle of sun rays. That's about 1/200 of a degree and that's utilizing the whole expanse of the earth!

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »

You know William Lane Craig believes the Big Bang occured and everything else that constitutes modern astrophysics?

Now that you said that, watch this:

Hovind vs Ross : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Kent Hovind Bible flood evidence : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"> - In this video Kent Hovind holds the biggest satanic symbol in his hands (the globe) -- Isn't that absolutely tragic? You see what i mean, this is not just about GLOBAL CONSPIRACY, it is about absolutely tragical TOTAL-MIND-BOGGLING CONSPIRACY!!!

@rottingroom, you should read this thread again: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62300.40#.VHX3uPJW_1s

In addition:

Flat earth and the setting sun, an artists perspective : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2014, 08:39:51 AM »

Kent Hovind Bible flood evidence : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer"> - In this video Kent Hovind holds the biggest satanic symbol in his hands (the globe) -- Isn't that absolutely tragic? You see what i mean, this is not just about GLOBAL CONSPIRACY, it is about absolutely tragical TOTAL-MIND-BOGGLING CONSPIRACY!!!

@rottingroom, you should read this thread again: http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=62300.40#.VHX3uPJW_1s

In addition:

Flat earth and the setting sun, an artists perspective : " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

Why do you back off of your claims and try to distract by moving on to something else? In this thread so far you've made the claim that sundials do not show shadows that go below their respective line of latitude and this was shown to be wrong because you didn't realize that gnomons are not perpendicular sticks. Then you moved onto a claim about how the sun should not be in a southern arc if the shadows of a sundial are below it's respective line of latitude. A contradictory claim to the first one but nevertheless, still explained by the gnomons configuration and further explained by the fact that all rays from the sun are nearly parallel. After all this, you simply link to another thread where you don't understand the implications of earths tilt and why that produces the seasons, which is a totally new argument, but related to sunrays.

To help you understand that we can refer again to the same interactive earth-sun model that I linked you too before and then after that I will describe an image that more clearly explains this.

Here is the link again:
http://astro.unl.edu/naap/motion1/animations/seasons_ecliptic.swf

Angle of Incidence
Now in the top right part of the applet, place the stick figure at 45° N in the northern hemisphere. Now make a comparison between what happens when you move the earth (use the left part of the applet) from the left (June) to the right (December).

As you can see when the earth is on the right it is summer. It is June and the sun's altitude gets to a peak of around 68°. Use the bottom right part of the applet and switch the view from sunlight angle to sunbeam spread. Notice how the energy of the sun is concentrated into a smaller beam.

When the earth is on the left it is winter. It is December and the sun's altitude gets to a peak of around 21°. Again, usse the bottom right part of the applet and switch the view from sunlight angle to sunbeam spread. Notice how now, the energy of the sun is dispersed into a larger, widened beam.

Here is a picture that shows this:

In this image we can see that two sunbeam's that are equally wide are hitting the earth in drastically different ways. They are hitting the surface at different angles and the seasons, determined by the tilt, account for this. Beam a is traveling a longer distance from the sun, a longer distance through a tilted atmosphere and hitting the surface at a larger angle than beam b. Besides the fact that this means that the beam a is dispersed into a larger area than beam b, beam a is also dealing with the angle causing more of the sun's energy to reflect off of the surface.

Without being confusing.... Sun rays are nearly parallel but they do not hit the surface of earth a nearly similar angles because the earth is curved, which means the surface angles differ greatly.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 08:42:17 AM by rottingroom »

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2014, 08:57:38 AM »

In addition:

I have watched it.  Hovind's only tactic is to present so many arguments that you cannot possibly respond to all of them, giving the impression that he has made good points.  Everything that Ross responds to, he clearly and succinctly rebuts Hovind.  Michael Shermer did the same.

Hovind is only convincing because his shotgun arguments are so well rehearsed, but he lacks the support of any credible scientific study.  Even Answers in Genesis won't touch his arguments with a ten foot pole.  You should note that.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2014, 09:46:58 AM »

I have watched it.  Hovind's only tactic is to present so many arguments that you cannot possibly respond to all of them, giving the impression that he has made good points.  Everything that Ross responds to, he clearly and succinctly rebuts Hovind.  Michael Shermer did the same.

Hovind is only convincing because his shotgun arguments are so well rehearsed, but he lacks the support of any credible scientific study.  Even Answers in Genesis won't touch his arguments with a ten foot pole.  You should note that.

So, he is basically another version of cikljamas, ha?

@rottingroom, make a video, and show it to me...

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2014, 09:48:58 AM »

Only insofar as you both present arguments that if you do not carefully consider them, could be construed as valid, but once you dig deeper, they fall apart.

Thanks for the set up by the way.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2014, 10:02:21 AM »

Only insofar as you both present arguments that if you do not carefully consider them, could be construed as valid, but once you dig deeper, they fall apart.

Thanks for the set up by the way.

You welcome!  ;D

I confess that it appears to me to be almost as unnecessary, as gilding gold or painting the lily, to give further evidence that the Earth is not a Planet!

I could very easily add many more proofs to similar effect, but I forbear; the fact is I am embarrassed with the riches of evidence that the Earth is not a Planet, and my difficulty has not arisen from any lack of matter, but as to how I may best select and condense it...

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2014, 10:26:01 AM »

Presenting a plethora of arguments can be difficult to respond to in person, but here on tfes, we have a forum and an abundance of time and space to demolish your arguments, as you have seen.

As far as the video is concerned, I want to point out what you need to make a faithful experiment in this case. Firstly your matchstick needs to be parallel with earths tilt and not perpendicular to the earths surface. If this alone is not helping you to see that the shadows would change drastically then there is no hope for you. Second of all we need a scale model of the sun and earths distance to size relationship.

So supposing that we use a globe that is 1 ft wide, this would mean that we would need a flood light (sun) 2.23 miles away from our globe and we'd need our flood light (sun) to be 205.57 ft wide. I'm not sure how you are expecting that to happen but I'm also not sure why you think I should bother making you a video. My goal here is to show that your video is irrelevant and I have done so to my satisfaction and hopefully yours. You are welcome to repeat your experiment with the proper angle for the gnomon and by moving your light (gonna need a brighter light) away from the earth, but you must also keep in mind, that putting your light directly above the tropic of capricorn or cancer is irrelevant at the distances involved. A sun ray that reaches the earth at the equator is nearly parallel to a sun ray that reaches the earth at a pole so it is fallacious to do the experiment with all the light coming from a single point on the ecliptic plane.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #87 on: November 27, 2014, 05:23:20 AM »
Firstly your matchstick needs to be parallel with earths tilt and not perpendicular to the earths surface.

So, when this happen how are you going to align your gnomons (it sounds like morons) with Earth's tilt? " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #88 on: November 27, 2014, 06:37:34 AM »
Firstly your matchstick needs to be parallel with earths tilt and not perpendicular to the earths surface.

So, when this happen how are you going to align your gnomons (it sounds like morons) with Earth's tilt? " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

If humanity survived and we were still concerned with using sundials then quite a few things would happen. First of all, the northern hemisphere would always be in darkness so no need for a sundial there. Everywhere else (the southern hemisphere) it would be likely that no matter what position you put the gnomon, its shadow would cast in the same direction. So there too, sundials would be useless.

cikljamas

• Ex nihilo nihil fit
« Reply #89 on: November 27, 2014, 07:02:05 AM »

So, these gnomons are parallel with Earth's tilt???