Simple Balloon "Rocket"...

• 1234 Replies
?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
Re: Simple Balloon "Rocket"...
« Reply #450 on: November 21, 2014, 02:43:44 PM »
Scepti is being deliberately obtuse and not mentioning the fact that the PVC pipe would ve buoyant. We would need 2 objects with the same buoyancy of different densities and the same volumes.
Buoyancy is going to be the same if volumes are the same, right? They just need to have enough weight to overcome that. Ofc both objects should sink, much easier to eyeball displacement that way.

Well these are exactly the type of questions scepti likes to mess with people on. You didn't specify if the blocks were hollow. When you first mentioned a 10 cm^3 block of plastic, I imagined that it would be hollow and when you first mentioned the 10 cm^3 block of iron I imagined that it wasn't and I have a feeling that is also what scepti was thinking. This is why he was asking you if you would have to apply force to them... The iron block would sink and the pvc block wouldn't, therefore the iron block would displace more water. If you don't get very specific he will do this.

For example, in the past he has said he is has 13 camera's and is a professional. He never said he was a professional photographer and people keep on accusing him of saying he is. So then he goes onto say, "show me where I've said I'm a professional photographer".

This is the type of thing he does.
I did say 'solid objects'... well maybe it should have been 'non-hollow solid objects' :p I also specifically said that they would be submerged, so it wouldn't actually even matter if one was hollow, it still displaces the same amount of water or any fluid.

At least he made it clear that he believes that 10 cm^3 of plastic would not displace just as much water as 10 cm^3 of iron, we'll see how his explanation for that unfolds :)

but listen to his important distinction that he mentioned...

Quote from: sceptimatic
so your pvc block was dropped into the water and it displaced exactly the same amount of water as your iron block dropped into the water, without you applying any pressure to push down the pvc block, right?

That right there tells you everything you need to know about what he is thinking. You didn't say solid or hollow. You may have said submerged but you didn't say that they would remain submerged and hollow pvc pip wouldn't remain submerged, that is of course, unless you held it down like he keeps asking you to clarify, to which you said:

Quote from: neimoka
That would be the idea.

You already gave him a passage out of this by conceding that you would not hold the blocks down and by not specifying whether these blocks are hollow or solid. With the lack of detail you've presented so far, he could easily be right that a 10cm^3 of plastic would not displace as much water as a 10 cm^3
of iron.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #451 on: November 21, 2014, 03:52:20 PM »
Well results are in, lets see who won?
As for the scale reading negative. They can only read negative to there set starting point. If I take the plate off to clean it, the scale will go negative and then error out. It can only go negative as to correct for the missing tared mass. In this case, the plate.  They cannot go any more than that. Negative 100g isn't going to happen. Anyways here is the video. As with my PS Paints, this video is of high quality.

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Scale Test
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #452 on: November 21, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
It looks the registered weight of the plate was going up as the vacuum increased.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #453 on: November 21, 2014, 04:20:03 PM »
It looks the registered weight of the plate was going up as the vacuum increased.
Mass and weight do not change in a vacuum. The reading going up is either because of the air escaping or because it's a $40 scale. I found out the scale turns itself off fast, so I couldn't just sit at the final vacuum to see if it would go back down to the starting weight. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

« Reply #454 on: November 21, 2014, 06:28:50 PM »
Mass and weight do not change in a vacuum. The reading going up is either because of the air escaping or because it's a $40 scale. I found out the scale turns itself off fast, so I couldn't just sit at the final vacuum to see if it would go back down to the starting weight.
My first thought for the weight increase was lost buoyancy. What was the volume of your test mass? In your experiment the measured weight increases by 100 mg (100.17 to 100.27 g - I presume those were grams) as the vacuum goes from 0 to 19 inHg.

Density of air, ρ (rho), at 20° C and 1 atm is: (from here)

ρ = 1.204 kg/m3
 = 1.204 g/l  (grams per liter)
 = 1.204 mg / cc

This doesn't seem to be enough to explain it, by probably a factor of 10 or so for any reasonable size for your test mass unless I dropped a decimal point somewhere, which is always possible, even including the volume of the mass included in the tare weight of your scale. So it must be something else.

At any rate, the unexplained error change in weight is around 0.1 g / 100 g, or 0.1% increase in measured weight after reducing the air pressure by 19 inHg, or about 2/3 of atmospheric pressure. How does this fit with the premise that weight is due to air pressure?

[Edit] Revise presumption of error. It may be a significant change in weight due to change in air pressure we're seeing. Any ideas why this would be, anyone?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:47:49 PM by Alpha2Omega »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

« Reply #455 on: November 21, 2014, 06:42:16 PM »

the original premise of this thread is almost too stupid for words.

to offer a balloon rocket as a comparison for rocketry would only be possible if the rocket was made of a flexible, self-retracting bladder, as is the nature of the smaller scale example.

unless with sufficient scaling up of a human person, said giant could pick up a space rocket (ha!) and stretch the two ends apart and flick it into the distance.

incredible, truly.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #456 on: November 22, 2014, 02:19:32 AM »
Scepti is being deliberately obtuse and not mentioning the fact that the PVC pipe would ve buoyant. We would need 2 objects with the same buoyancy of different densities and the same volumes.
Yes, because he's not fully explaining exactly what he's doing, except when prompted.

« Reply #457 on: November 22, 2014, 02:41:17 AM »
Yes, because he's not fully explaining exactly what he's doing, except when prompted.
No, you just like playing silly games rather than having an honest debate.
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #458 on: November 22, 2014, 02:53:30 AM »
I can't see why I'd be more likely to lose track if it was just one post, if it's split up there are distractions in between with other people posting on the topic, quotes tend to get lost when they get too long and so on, I must have skipped and forgotten half of the details and points of argument I've had on my mind during this exchange just because of this. So I'd prefer if it wasn't necessary to go step by step. I read books for fun, I think I can take one forum post - as long as it's concise, to the point and not by Sandokhan.

If you think that submerging an object in a measuring cup with fluid in it isn't descriptive of how much fluid an object displaces (!?) perhaps you could suggest another experiment?

I'm very interested in how pvc is special in this regard.

(density of polyvinyl chloride is well over 1 g/cm3, there is variance in products but generally it actually does sink)
Let me explain why it's important as to what you use and as to why a bucket isn't going to show you a true picture of displacement.
Ok, to start with, the iron sinks to the bottom of the bucket and obviously displaces the water.
The pvc won't sink so it won't displace as much. Now this is key, so keep this in mind as I move on.

Let's change the block to an iron block and a solid wood block of exactly the same size. Now you drop them in and they both fall to the bottom of the bucket and displace the same amount of water......but.....is that the whole story?

The answer is no. You see, the bottom of the bucket has stopped the objects from sinking any further because it's created a barrier. Now think about what I'm about to say, seriously.

To understand about mass and displacement in full you require super deep water to actually gauge displacement of water with any object.

For instance, let's get back to the iron and wooden block.
If you dropped them into a deep ocean, they would both sink....but, the iron block would continue to sink and the wooden block would stop sinking Why?
Because the wooden block still has trapped air inside of it and although the iron does, too, it's minute compared.
Because of this, it makes the wooden block more buoyant.

Now then, if we applied pressure to the wooden block to keep pushing it down to the same depth that the iron block was at, you would then see that it doesn't displace the same amount of water. Why?

Because it will be compressed into a smaller  block by the pressure of the water, meaning the water will squeeze out the trapped air inside of it.
To give you an example of what I'm telling you is to look at a submarine.
Now imagine building a submarine out of solid iron, including inside of it. Basically a solid block in the shape of a sub.
Now you also have a normal sub of exact size, filled with the usual atmospheric pressure.

You drop them in the water and the solid one sinks but you have to force the other one down.
As you force it down, it will implode. Basically all of the air will be forced out and your sub will be a lot smaller and displacing a lot less water by this time.

On land it works similar, except you are measuring a mass that is subject to the amount of atmospheric pressure it can repel - or to put it in displacement terms, how much of that mass displaces the air it's in which is why I used the sponge and lead block to show you that absorbtion of atmospheric pressure will render the sponge lightweight when measured, as opposed to the lead block that will absorb very little, which is why it's so dense and why that density is measured on scales due to atmospheric pressure upon its mass.

To put it simply, measuring scales are simply denpressure scales, because that's what everything is and all that can be measured. It is not the actual object in itself, but what that object pushes against, which is atmospheric pressure and the ground. Put a measuring scale in between and that's what it weighs.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #459 on: November 22, 2014, 02:55:00 AM »
No, you just like playing silly games rather than having an honest debate.
No, I'm trying to explain reality instead of people thinking an unexplainable force is causing everything we see, like bullshit gravity.

« Reply #460 on: November 22, 2014, 03:01:28 AM »
Please discuss steel and aluminium blocks of the same size.  Different densities, both solid.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #461 on: November 22, 2014, 03:03:24 AM »
Please discuss steel and aluminium blocks of the same size.  Different densities, both solid.
Let's discuss them. What would you like to discuss?

« Reply #462 on: November 22, 2014, 03:11:09 AM »
Displace the same amount of water, different weights, fall at same speed.

Rewrite #458 with these materials.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 03:22:32 AM by inquisitive »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #463 on: November 22, 2014, 03:38:44 AM »

First of all, look up which is easily compressed and look at how both material are made, then get back to me.

« Reply #464 on: November 22, 2014, 03:43:44 AM »

First of all, look up which is easily compressed and look at how both material are made, then get back to me.
Your explanation please.  With numbers.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #465 on: November 22, 2014, 03:48:10 AM »

You are either a robot or you are sitting there combing your hair, waiting for a response, then typing out the same shit one sentence replies. You have one more chance to start putting some input in or you will be the second person to go on ignore for good. Geoffrey will have some company.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #466 on: November 22, 2014, 05:41:32 AM »
No response to the video?
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #467 on: November 22, 2014, 05:52:50 AM »
Does it really merit a response?
What did you do? did you quickly set it up whilst your boss went out for a sandwich. You looked in one hell of a rush and your camera was all over the place.
It was a shit video to be honest.

If you have access to that without problems, then use it and do some experiments, starting off by showing me that scale from start to finish, in and out of the chamber.

« Reply #468 on: November 22, 2014, 05:54:40 AM »

You are either a robot or you are sitting there combing your hair, waiting for a response, then typing out the same shit one sentence replies. You have one more chance to start putting some input in or you will be the second person to go on ignore for good. Geoffrey will have some company.
I am asking you to prove that steel and aluminium blocks of the same size and shape fall at different rates as you state.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #469 on: November 22, 2014, 05:59:10 AM »

I am asking you to prove that steel and aluminium blocks of the same size and shape fall at different rates as you state.
And how am I going to physically do that?
Do you live near a high rise building? if so, you do the experiment and show me.
If you think dropping them in a 30 feet high evacuation chamber is going to prove anything for things like this, then you're deluding yourself.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #470 on: November 22, 2014, 06:00:45 AM »
What did you do? did you quickly set it up whilst your boss went out for a sandwich. You looked in one hell of a rush and your camera was all over the place.

If you have access to that without problems, then use it and do some experiments, starting off by showing me that scale from start to finish, in and out of the chamber.
True I didn't want people to see me, but the real reason if you noticed was the scale turns itself off. I couldn't even make it to the 20 inches of Hg.

I think the real reason you don't have a response is because it completely destroys denpressure.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #471 on: November 22, 2014, 06:08:17 AM »

True I didn't want people to see me, but the real reason if you noticed was the scale turns itself off. I couldn't even make it to the 20 inches of Hg.

I think the real reason you don't have a response is because it completely destroys denpressure.
Sorry, your words are meaningless. An opportunity to prove me wrong with the equipment at hand and probably all the items needed to go further and the best you can come up with, is this and then having scales shut down. It stinks and you know it.

Denpressure destroys gravity and until you directly prove otherwise by following my directions, then you're simply trying to cheat your way through it for whatever reasons you have.
If you had any truthful thought, you would do this stuff properly instead of jumping up and down saying you've destroyed my theory when you know fine well you haven't.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #472 on: November 22, 2014, 06:11:31 AM »

Sorry, your words are meaningless. An opportunity to prove me wrong with the equipment at hand and probably all the items needed to go further and the best you can come up with, is this and then having scales shut down. It stinks and you know it.

Denpressure destroys gravity and until you directly prove otherwise by following my directions, then you're simply trying to cheat your way through it for whatever reasons you have.
If you had any truthful thought, you would do this stuff properly instead of jumping up and down saying you've destroyed my theory when you know fine well you haven't.
Explain why the weight didn't go down. Oh that's right you can't. Denpressure is shit and you know it. This is number three for destroying denpressure in this thread. Better luck next time, kid.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #473 on: November 22, 2014, 06:12:50 AM »

It would only cost about $20.00 for a better scale that stays on for a few minutes.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #474 on: November 22, 2014, 06:15:45 AM »

Explain why the weight didn't go down. Oh that's right you can't. Denpressure is shit and you know it. This is number three for destroying denpressure in this thread. Better luck next time, kid.
Yap yap yap, you showed nothing. You showed a scale inside a chamber that was hard to read and decipher and whatever was on it was obscure. You didn't show the setting before you put it in - nothing.
You're a cheating git and if you're not then do the experiments when you have the time to do so by how I want you to set it up. Are you willing to do this?

You have the equipment, so this should be easy for you. If you come back with any response as to why you can't do it, then don't waste my time with your crap.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #475 on: November 22, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »

It would only cost about $20.00 for a better scale that stays on for a few minutes.
With the size of that chamber, he could use an old set of manual kitchen scales for pennies or nothing and he doesn't have to worry about it shutting down.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #476 on: November 22, 2014, 06:18:36 AM »

How do you suppose he cheated his way through it? You yourself said that it looks like he did it as quickly as he could while his boss went out for a sandwich. Wouldn't it take more time to prepare a deception? You can clearly see the scale in the machine, you can clearly see the pressure on the machine change and you can clearly see the weight on the scale not decrease.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #477 on: November 22, 2014, 06:20:46 AM »

How do you suppose he cheated his way through it? You yourself said that it looks like he did it as quickly as he could while his boss went out for a sandwich. Wouldn't it take more time to prepare a deception? You can clearly see the scale in the machine, you can clearly see the pressure on the machine change and you can clearly see the weight on the scale not decrease.
If you think that shows any real evidence then carry on. If he wants to play it genuinely then he does it by my rules, then he has the clear right to call my theory wrong. Will he do it? let's see.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #478 on: November 22, 2014, 06:23:44 AM »

If you think that shows any real evidence then carry on. If he wants to play it genuinely then he does it by my rules, then he has the clear right to call my theory wrong. Will he do it? let's see.

You can't possibly keep doing this. You don't seriously believe pressure will change somethings weight. It's so silly.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #479 on: November 22, 2014, 06:27:27 AM »

You can't possibly keep doing this. You don't seriously believe pressure will change somethings weight. It's so silly.
Of course it will change it's weight. Weight is the sole purpose of pressure. Weight is a man made measurement of pressure upon any object.
The fact is that not many people can allow themselves to think on it, which is why they can't understand what's being said, because gravity keeps creeping into their heads.