Funny...

• 33 Replies
?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
Funny...
« on: July 29, 2014, 06:53:24 AM »
You know what's funny about The Flat Earth Society? It's theories. I am having a very hard time believing you ACTUALLY believe in these laughable concepts. Now tell me: how did you figure these concepts out? What evidence do you have to prove ANY of them are true, any in the slightest? I guess not.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:01:51 AM by LogicMan »

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Funny...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 07:03:15 AM »
Maybe you could try asking a specific question, or do I need to move this one to AR as well? 

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 07:21:59 AM »
Maybe you could try asking a specific question, or do I need to move this one to AR as well?
I asked two very specific questions. Is that too much for you to handle? Do we need to call the police?  :-[ I have noticed Flat Earthers to have a tendency to get really angry when more than one question is asked to them. It's cute, but it's also sad. All I want is them answered in full, with answers that are 100% true and indisputable. Is that also too much for you to handle??
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 07:27:37 AM by LogicMan »

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 07:34:50 AM »
I asked two very specific questions. Is that too much for you to handle? Do we need to call the police?  :-[ I have noticed Flat Earthers to have a tendency to get really angry when more than one question is asked to them. It's cute, but it's also sad. All I want is them answered in full, with answers that are 100% true and indisputable. Is that also too much for you to handle??

It is a bit much actually. Why would you hold the non-scientists at the FES to an impossible standard that even professional scientists don't claim to be able to meet?
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2014, 07:39:00 AM »

It is a bit much actually. Why would you hold the non-scientists at the FES to an impossible standard that even professional scientists don't claim to be able to meet?
So basically what your saying is that all the stuff you say is fake assumptions and you have no idea what your talking about. Just as I thought. You make up these mediocre theories but don't care enough to go and actually TEST them to see if they're true? WOW

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 07:40:31 AM »

So basically what your saying is that all the stuff you say is fake assumptions and you have no idea what your talking about. Just as I thought. You make up these mediocre theories but don't care enough to go and actually TEST them to see if they're true? WOW

^ +1

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 07:42:53 AM »

You asked two general questions, not specific ones.  It is like asking what the meaning of life is.  Do you really expect someone to tell you how they come up with a concept without you mentioning a specific concept, or to list evidence for every single thing that they believe?  Especially after saying that you will be laughing at anything they say?  Surely, you can come up with specific questions before I more this out of Q&A. 

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2014, 07:53:37 AM »
Specific question.  How can verified distances confirm a round earth and yet some say the earth is flat?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2014, 07:56:23 AM »

Care to give an example of "the stuff I say" and my "fake assumptions"? I'm not making any claims, I'm asking you to think. Show me a scientist that claims to have "100% true indisputable answers" and I'll show you a crappy scientist. A good scientific theory is disputable, and a good scientist defends it with solid evidence and reason. If the theory holds up to criticism, then other scientists will use that theory until a better one comes along or evidence is found that refutes it. Starting to get the picture now?
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2014, 08:00:45 AM »

You asked two general questions, not specific ones.  It is like asking what the meaning of life is.  Do you really expect someone to tell you how they come up with a concept without you mentioning a specific concept, or to list evidence for every single thing that they believe?  Especially after saying that you will be laughing at anything they say?  Surely, you can come up with specific questions before I more this out of Q&A.

Alright they're "general questions". What difference does it make? They're simple questions. All I want is them answered. All I'm getting is the FE routine where if you don't have an answer you just ask questions. If you can't answer even ONE of my simple questions then the only reachable conclusion I have is that you don't even know your OWN theories are true. That would make this an embarrassing excuse for a society that wants to validate something.  It's very, very sad.  :'(
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:06:19 AM by LogicMan »

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 08:09:37 AM »
This sounds like debate baiting to me but I'll bite.  If you step off a chair you see the ground rushing up to meet you.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2014, 08:12:36 AM »

Care to give an example of "the stuff I say" and my "fake assumptions"? I'm not making any claims, I'm asking you to think. Show me a scientist that claims to have "100% true indisputable answers" and I'll show you a crappy scientist. A good scientific theory is disputable, and a good scientist defends it with solid evidence and reason. If the theory holds up to criticism, then other scientists will use that theory until a better one comes along or evidence is found that refutes it. Starting to get the picture now?

You just don't understand do you? YOUR THEORIES ARE UNBELIEVABLE!! They are laughable! No one in they're right mind would think its true. I'm not talking about the things you say. I'm talking about the entire society! There is NO possible way according to the laws of physics and BASIC LOGIC for them to be possible! If you want to make a theory, make sure it's just SLIGHTLY believable. The flat earth theory doesn't sound scientific or real whatsoever! It sounds like what a 5 year old would think of! Are YOU starting to get the picture?

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 08:14:52 AM »
This sounds like debate baiting to me but I'll bite.  If you step off a chair you see the ground rushing up to meet you.
The ground doesn't come up to you, YOU come down to the ground. But you won't listen. I know it.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 08:27:32 AM »
The usual FE Answer to the question "Why do you believe the earth is flat ?":

"The earth is flat because if you look out your window it looks flat."
Does that answer your question ?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:46:46 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2014, 08:35:25 AM »

The earth is flat because if you look out your window it looks flat.
Ha! definitely not

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2014, 08:49:41 AM »

Ha! definitely not

Well.....That appears to be the main point of evidence from the FE's ?

Chorus:

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2014, 08:53:32 AM »

Ha! definitely not

Well.....That appears to be the main point of evidence from the FE's ?

Well.....they can do better than that! (NOT!)

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2014, 09:20:20 AM »
You know what's funny about The Flat Earth Society? It's theories. I am having a very hard time believing you ACTUALLY believe in these laughable concepts. Now tell me: how did you figure these concepts out? What evidence do you have to prove ANY of them are true, any in the slightest? I guess not.
Hmm...so everyone is a stand still!! No Flat Earther knows what to say now. Just as I thought once again. You can't disprove anything i said. Just accept the fact that YOU are wrong.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2014, 10:10:32 AM »

You just don't understand do you? YOUR THEORIES ARE UNBELIEVABLE!! They are laughable! No one in they're right mind would think its true. I'm not talking about the things you say. I'm talking about the entire society! There is NO possible way according to the laws of physics and BASIC LOGIC for them to be possible! If you want to make a theory, make sure it's just SLIGHTLY believable. The flat earth theory doesn't sound scientific or real whatsoever! It sounds like what a 5 year old would think of! Are YOU starting to get the picture?

I don't see a lot of reason and evidence coming from you in this post. Yet you're demanding "100% true, indisputable" answers from the other side? And you claim to be the reasonable one here? ::)

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2014, 10:20:41 AM »
You really should learn to be patient.  Just because your question hasn't been answered within 3 hours of you posting it doesn't mean it can't be answered.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2014, 10:35:17 AM »

Sounds like "debaiting".

Mass debaiting.

?

LogicMan

• The Power of Logic
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2014, 11:16:40 AM »

I don't see a lot of reason and evidence coming from you in this post. Yet you're demanding "100% true, indisputable" answers from the other side? And you claim to be the reasonable one here? ::)
You already know the evidence for a round earth, and that's the evidence I'm gonna use to support the fact. Also, logic can prove it as well.

?

Rodney Baker

• Yendor
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2014, 11:42:26 AM »
Talking about logic, I have a question that logically makes no sense to me. Maybe someone smart can answer it so I can understand it.

question:
Wouldn’t you think with the satellites orbiting the earth near the equator in the thermosphere, that gets 600 - 2000 deg. C, there would be enough direct sun radiation on them that they would get hot enough to melt the aluminum and everything else? I would think it would be like a microwave oven in them.

Science says it is possible, I just find it hard to believe.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2014, 11:47:17 AM »
First instinct is that the satellite would be made of highly reflective material that absorbs very little radiant energy.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2014, 11:53:30 AM »
You already know the evidence for a round earth, and that's the evidence I'm gonna use to support the fact. Also, logic can prove it as well.

Do you not see how that can just be turned around against you by replacing "round" with "flat" in that first sentence? It's one thing to just say that "evidence exists for my argument, and logic proves it", but it's another thing entirely to actually present a piece of evidence and explain why it supports your argument. I don't doubt that you could do this, but you haven't done it yet.

This is why noobs are generally told to "lurk moar". Wise advice indeed.

?

Rodney Baker

• Yendor
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »
That is a point. Is it enough to protect them?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 12:01:39 PM »
Talking about logic, I have a question that logically makes no sense to me. Maybe someone smart can answer it so I can understand it.

question:
Wouldn’t you think with the satellites orbiting the earth near the equator in the thermosphere, that gets 600 - 2000 deg. C, there would be enough direct sun radiation on them that they would get hot enough to melt the aluminum and everything else? I would think it would be like a microwave oven in them.

The gases in the thermosphere are hot, but extremely rarefied. Also, I think satellites orbit higher than this, don't they? Also, while satellites do get a lot of solar radiation, they are A) made to be reflective as Rama pointed out and B) only lit on one side, and the dark side is radiating heat away.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 03:58:50 PM »

The point has been made on other threads that "The Flat Earth Theories" don't even rate to be called "Theories." I still think the moderators and other so-called other flat-earthers on at least this website are really just acting and no more believe in a flat earth than any sane person. I think they just started this website as a place for them to make up their unbelievable.....????......stuff ??? (I am using a more polite word than is normally used to describe it..LOL.)....for the sake of debating.

Chorus:

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »
The website is an extension of TFES and used as a tool to reach as many people in as many countries as possible with its message. A message that is taken very seriously within the Society and beyond by those who understand there are disciplines other than the scientific method to arrive at truth. Yes truth of Earth shape, in particular. 

Science believers have a propensity for braggadocio without truthful evidence to back it up. For those who spend time here this does become evident. 

Look at the history of FET going back as far back as we know you can.  A reasonable person must take seriously all that is FET and not fret that it does not fit the misconceived vision of what RET represents.       

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2014, 05:53:17 AM »

question:

The thermosphere is effectively a vacuum, so even if the temperature is 2000 deg C there's no molecules around to transfer the heat around. (wiki "Thermosphere" and the question is answered in about 5 seconds..).

Also i dont think satellites are made of solid aluminium, that'd be a pretty poor choice (its very soft and melts easily).