Money is the most important thing in life

• 157 Replies

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Money is the most important thing in life
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:03:25 AM »
Money buys you food, a roof over your head, clothing, transportation, entertainment, it buys you an education, it provides for your family, it buys you health for when you are sick, it has the power to end life and the power to give it. We give up a vast majority of the time in our day - 8 hours or more, in pursuit of money. Who would spend their entire day trying to get something if it were not the most important thing in the world to them? Quite clearly, money is the terra and the firma of all earthly existence.

You go to college because you want a career with a good starting salary. You have more respect for a person with a good career than one who does not. We spend more time working than with our own families. We are willing to indenture ourselves to a lifetime of servitude in exchange for basic necessities.

Thork says it the best here:

I will make it more simple. In the 21st century slavery is abolished. That doesn't mean people aren't slaves. You can choose your master but you still have to work for someone rich. In return you will receive a wage that just about covers your living expenses. Rent/mortgage, food, clothing etc. all the things you could expect your master to supply as a slave. Some slave jobs pay better than others. You are a more cherished and useful slave and get larger accommodation and finer clothes, but you still have to work for someone. You live in a shitty box house, with your shitty little garden and look forward to 2 shitty weeks off in the summer. the free are those who own things. Companies, land, assets. They get slaves like you to work for them all week long. They spend their time playing golf, sailing yachts, bollocking people and spending more money than you can imagine. They do what they want. They don't work.

If you are born into a family that owns a supermarket chain, or a car factory, or 10,000 acres of farmland ... you were born free. You will inherit the right to do whatever you want. Pursue what ever you feel like, the money will just roll in. You own things, the slaves will earn money for you.

The only way to be free is to work for yourself. Set up your own company and get people to work for you. think about that next time you are at your crap job doing something you hate. Think about how free you are. Or when you are looking for a job, you are putting on the shackles and marching to the market waiting to be bonded into slavery and to top it off, its competitive, you are fighting each other for the best slave tasks.

Money hasn't meant freedom. Its just a form of slave credits. Its not like you own bricks of gold or farmland or anything of great physical worth. You are a slave. Wanna study for 4 years so that you can earn someone else more wealth?

How can anyone say that money is less important than love? Quite clearly, when our survival depends on it, and when all of our time is given away in pursuit of it, it is more important than all else.

How can anyone say that they are fine living on beans from paycheck to paycheck? Accidents and illnesses will happen, to both you and to your family. Money needs to be there for that. Your children will need day care, they will need a college education, and your parents will need nursing homes. You are expected to be a provider, and a good one.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:19:44 AM by Tom Bishop »

?

Sean

• Official Member
Re: Money is the most important thing in life
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:04:14 AM »
I had no idea.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:04:43 AM »
How many people have made money without ever receiving love and care?
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:19:29 AM »
How many people have made money without ever receiving love and care?

Finding love is not a difficult matter. Our biology programs us to love and care. There are not a lack of people of the opposite gender in the world, but there is a lack of wealth, and a lack of time.

If you are complacent and comfortable with living a "modest" life then you are a fool. You have a very limited amount of time to live life, and you are giving it all away to a master to increase his wealth, in exchange for the bare necessities. How can you live with yourself?

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 09:34:04 AM »
But love and care are strongly correlated with financial success. Children from abusive or neglectful families are typically less successful than those from stable loving families, by every standard you mention above. For example, this is considered a significant problem for egalitarian theories that focus on equality of opportunity, due to the impractical and counter-intuitive nature of any solutions that try to address resulting inequalities.

If financial success is largely predicated on love and care, then love and care are more important than financial success.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 09:52:24 AM »
But love and care are strongly correlated with financial success. Children from abusive or neglectful families are typically less successful than those from stable loving families, by every standard you mention above.

I would like to see a source for that. The richest people in society are sociopaths. They did not get that way by being caring and loving employers.

If financial success is largely predicated on love and care, then love and care are more important than financial success.

It does not follow that because everyone is loved by their mother, that their mother's love is more important than wealth.

Surely everyone is loved by their families, just as everyone breathes air. Is breathing air more important than being a millioniare? No, because everyone has air and it is an easily obtainable commodity. Being a millionaire is more important because it's harder to get and provides much more in life than basic existence.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 10:05:32 AM by Tom Bishop »

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »
Finding love is not a difficult matter.
Incorrect.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 10:13:31 AM »
Finding love is not a difficult matter.
Incorrect.
Shaving is pretty easy
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:50:20 AM »
Thork says it the best here:

I will make it more simple. In the 21st century slavery is abolished. That doesn't mean people aren't slaves. You can choose your master but you still have to work for someone rich. In return you will receive a wage that just about covers your living expenses. Rent/mortgage, food, clothing etc. all the things you could expect your master to supply as a slave. Some slave jobs pay better than others. You are a more cherished and useful slave and get larger accommodation and finer clothes, but you still have to work for someone. You live in a shitty box house, with your shitty little garden and look forward to 2 shitty weeks off in the summer. the free are those who own things. Companies, land, assets. They get slaves like you to work for them all week long. They spend their time playing golf, sailing yachts, bollocking people and spending more money than you can imagine. They do what they want. They don't work.

If you are born into a family that owns a supermarket chain, or a car factory, or 10,000 acres of farmland ... you were born free. You will inherit the right to do whatever you want. Pursue what ever you feel like, the money will just roll in. You own things, the slaves will earn money for you.

The only way to be free is to work for yourself. Set up your own company and get people to work for you. think about that next time you are at your crap job doing something you hate. Think about how free you are. Or when you are looking for a job, you are putting on the shackles and marching to the market waiting to be bonded into slavery and to top it off, its competitive, you are fighting each other for the best slave tasks.

Money hasn't meant freedom. Its just a form of slave credits. Its not like you own bricks of gold or farmland or anything of great physical worth. You are a slave. Wanna study for 4 years so that you can earn someone else more wealth?

People always oversimplify the getting rich aspect of business. "Start your own business man be rich and free!" In that  are the stresses, risks, and failures associated with owning a business. It's not just as simple as "start a business."

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 12:33:19 PM »
Money needs to be there for that.
Not especially; fiat money by definition only works because somebody says so. Without their authority, it's meaningless, it's just that it's the law of the land. The same could be said for the gold standard or barter systems. Every society is going to have an economy, it's just an idiosyncrasy of a large animal-pack. When there's too many of you to be fed by the daily hunt n gather, then you start to specialize and demand compensation. Yes, it's a basic part of life, but so is cellular biology, and you're not gonna get many people calling that the most important thing in the world.

Are the building blocks really more important than what's built with them? Is a nation's economic type more important than its culture and society?

You have a very limited amount of time to live life, and you are giving it all away to a master to increase his wealth, in exchange for the bare necessities.
That's why proper wealthy people understand that by giving back to the community and leaving it fertile, they'll gain more than they ever would obsessively hoarding their cash. Just like any other ecosystem, it's going to die out if you devour it all and leave only the scraps that fly free of your gob; a good farmer keeps the soil rich and the plants healthy. The hoarders we've got nowadays are killing us and just waiting to jump ship once we go under.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »
The richest people in society are sociopaths.

I would like to see a source for that.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:50 PM »

?

Thork

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
The richest people in society are sociopaths.

I would like to see a source for that.

Quote from: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sociopath
so·ci·o·path
   [soh-see-uh-path, soh-shee-] Show IPA

noun Psychiatry .
a person, as a psychopathic personality, whose behavior is antisocial and who lacks a sense of moral responsibility or social conscience.

When there are people starving in the world a social conscience should tell you not to hoard more money than you can ever spend. It should be your moral responsibility to make sure charities for abused children, hospitals and the homeless get the funds they desperately need. Most people only keep that kind of money because it represents power.

I conclude Tom is correct.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 12:46:55 PM »
Bill Gates has donated billions to charities, and pledges to donate much of his wealth.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
There's definitely sociopaths among the wealthy, but I doubt they're in the majority. Many wealthy people are philanthropic in some way; some give away almost all of their money.

Besides, most of us live with enough money to donate at least a small amount, but how many of us do?

?

Cat Earth Theory

• I practise the Zetetic Method!
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 05:55:26 PM »
When there are people starving in the world a social conscience should tell you not to hoard more money than you can ever spend. It should be your moral responsibility to make sure charities for abused children, hospitals and the homeless get the funds they desperately need. Most people only keep that kind of money because it represents power.

I conclude Tom is correct.

I agree that there's likely something wrong in the head with the very rich.  When you get to the point where you have more money than you could ever need, and yet you still keep hoarding more, there's something unhealthy going on in your mind.

Even before charities, I'd think that people in these positions might consider giving more money back to the hoardes of lowly employees that they exploit to create their wealth.  The fact that they continue to screw them over is a definite indicator of a lack of conscience.
If you focus on the cloud, and conceive of it just as you would a dream you are trying to interpret, with practice its meanings and memories will be revealed to you.

?

Wakka Wakka

• Beat The Hell Outta Spheres!
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »
Priests are poor as shit and they obviously enjoy what they do.

INB4 lol molesting kiddos
Normally when I'm not sure I just cop a feel.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 08:22:00 PM »
I would like to see a source for that. The richest people in society are sociopaths. They did not get that way by being caring and loving employers.

1) The fact that family stability and income are linked is well known. Children from broken homes, abusive families, those who grow up in institutions, etc. on average do not earn as much, and are more likely to go to prison. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Causes_and_correlates_of_crime#Family

It does not follow that because everyone is loved by their mother, that their mother's love is more important than wealth.

This is a total strawman.

Surely everyone is loved by their families, just as everyone breathes air.

That is total baloney.

You cannot be loved by a dead family, or experience the love of a distant family, or accept the love of a family that abuses you. There are plenty of children who are neglected or actively abused, and to pretend otherwise is simply absurd.

Even before charities, I'd think that people in these positions might consider giving more money back to the hoardes of lowly employees that they exploit to create their wealth.  The fact that they continue to screw them over is a definite indicator of a lack of conscience.

In this post there are no colours, just black and white.

Seriously, employers employ their employees. They don't just exploit them. Secondly, they pay taxes, and it's not their job to ensure the tax system is fair. That's what we pay politicians for.

?

Cat Earth Theory

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 08:28:43 PM »
Lol, ok, Wilmore.  Tell that to some Indonesian sweatshop workers.
If you focus on the cloud, and conceive of it just as you would a dream you are trying to interpret, with practice its meanings and memories will be revealed to you.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 08:35:51 PM »

Tell that to employers who are good to their workers. Not all employers exploit the people under them. Stop generalising, it's derpy.

?

Cat Earth Theory

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 08:40:45 PM »
I didn't say all employers, just the very rich ones.  You don't get huge fortunes unless you're willing to cut costs.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2012, 08:59:55 PM »
I didn't say all employers, just the very rich ones.  You don't get huge fortunes unless you're willing to cut costs.

Not all rich employers exploit their workers either. And the bolded point is wrong on so many levels it's not worth pursuing. Take your anti-capitalist venting elsewhere. It's not what this thread is about.

Vindictus

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2012, 09:11:46 PM »

lol, no.

?

Cat Earth Theory

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2012, 10:09:05 PM »
Not all rich employers exploit their workers either. And the bolded point is wrong on so many levels it's not worth pursuing. Take your anti-capitalist venting elsewhere. It's not what this thread is about.

Lol, I shouldn't be surprised that you're blind to the truth as usual.

?

Cat Earth Theory

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 10:22:02 PM »

lol, no.

Then why do companies operate so many sweatshops, mines, and factories in countries where labor is the cheapest and regulations are highly negotiable at best?

Vindictus

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 11:19:18 PM »

lol, no.

Then why do companies operate so many sweatshops, mines, and factories in countries where labor is the cheapest and regulations are highly negotiable at best?

Becoming 'very rich' does not require you to run a sweatshop, or run a company with sweatshop conditions.

Stop generalising, it's derpy.

Ocius

• Official Member
  • Space President
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2012, 12:09:04 AM »
The most important thing in life is peace of mind.

rooster

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2012, 12:37:43 AM »
You should read The Travels of a Tshirt in a Global Economy. Sweat shop workers actually like their jobs. They get the chance to leave a life of farming, to get out in the city, and buy things with the money they earned. It's not an ideal job for us, but it's not the slave market we make it out to be. It gives them a greater sense of freedom than they previously had.

EnigmaZV

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2012, 12:46:06 PM »
Typically, sweat shop workers make more than the average income. It would be like telling people who make roughly 45,000/yr in the US that their job is shit and they should complain and demand better wages.
I don't know what you're implying, but you're probably wrong.