Shape of the Earth:

disc
4 (44.4%)
infinite plane
3 (33.3%)
other, please share
2 (22.2%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Let us try to come to an agreement of some sort.

• 8 Replies

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
Let us try to come to an agreement of some sort.
« on: March 05, 2011, 06:28:05 AM »
Brothers, we have an obvious major division in our belief. Some believe in a disc-like flat earth while others believe in an infinite plane.
Of recent, I have become more inclined towards John Davis' assertion of an infinite plane. I think that others subscribing to the disc model will agree that we haven't (as a species) been to the ends of the earth. However, is there an end?
Let's use this as an opportunity to present both arguments so that maybe we can have more unification.
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Let us try to come to an agreement of some sort.
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2011, 09:16:59 AM »
I believe the truth, is in the synthesis of the thesis and the antithesis. The known Earth is a disc of molten ice in a potentially infinite plane of frozen darkness. We cannot know how far the ice extends, or where it terminates.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2011, 01:25:06 PM »
I come closest to what James has presented.  I am halfway to the infinite plane idea in concept since I have been developing a spatial construct of infinite yet finite for some time.  That concept is not assigned to the earth dynamics but it brings me closer to understanding the potential of infinite plane.

For now I am in the disc camp but am a candidate for infinite plane if I have the opportunity to be exposed to more of its details.  It is more data about the application of spatial infinity applied to earth shape that I am lacking.   

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 04:40:22 AM »
I see two basic flat earth models:

1) Cosmas Indicopleustes

2) Samuel Rowbotham

-------------------------------------------------

Most models presented on this forum are variations of Rowbotham's model.  Aside from his belief in the UA theory, perhaps Tom Bishop seems to adhere as close to Rowbotham's ideas as anybody. 

Rowbotham's model forms the basis for both most of the finite and infinite plane advocates.  Charles Johnson believed the earth to be an infinte plane;  so John Davis and Charles Johnson use the same model - or at least very similar. 

-----------------

As far as I am aware, the only persons advocating the model of Cosmas Indicopleustes are Clovis and myself.  Possibly Ski would agree with this ancient model if he knew more about it, but I have not questioned him in detail about this.  Perhaps Ski already essentially accepts Jerusalem as the centre of the earth.  I reckon that if he accepted the existence of the arctic mountain around which the sun and moon orbit, then that would be enough to classify him in our group.  Ski is perhaps slightly more jewish influenced than Clovis and I, but the ancient jews believed those two things as well.  The Cosmas Indicopleustes model is definitely that of a finite world.  Basically, I view the earth (strictly speaking) as the afroeurasian landmass which is surounded by a great Ocean.  Australia, north and south america, and greenland are all large islands in this ocean which is itself surrounded by an outer earth which forms a perimeter to this world and upon which stand the four walls of heaven.

Levee seems to include elements from almost everything ancient and modern into his own unique system.  He does believe in the arctic mountain which is common to all the ancient models.

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 11:16:17 AM »
Brothers, it is important that we come to an agreement, although, if we do not I will be happy still.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 11:58:02 AM »
I believe the truth, is in the synthesis of the thesis and the antithesis. The known Earth is a disc of molten ice in a potentially infinite plane of frozen darkness. We cannot know how far the ice extends, or where it terminates.

I broadly agree. For a long time I have been advocating a geography based on the known Earth; questions of what lie beyond the known Earth clearly lie beyond our knowledge. However, it is important to note that John's theory assumes an infinite Earth; Rowbotham's is more ambiguous, but seems to suggest a finite Earth. In my view, John's theory is therefore more falsifiable in nature, though whether that should be a criterion of assessment is another matter.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 09:26:25 PM »
The ice is no doubt able to remain in its state due to the cold void past it, this though is speculation, we can not know for sure just as the Lord has said.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 09:28:20 PM by bullhorn »

?

17 November

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 05:05:16 AM »
For a long time I have been advocating a geography based on the known Earth; questions of what lie beyond the known Earth clearly lie beyond our knowledge.

... or at least certain details lie beyond what we have yet learned.  Appreciate your slanting of known Earth. 

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2011, 03:55:30 AM »
... or at least certain details lie beyond what we have yet learned..  

Exactly. The way I see it, both the finite and infinite models posit some kind of unexplored/unknown region of indeterminate extent. Personally, I think that determining the geography of the known Earth is far more pressing than determining its compass (or lack thereof).
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord