Gravity

• 19 Replies

Trekky0623

• Official Member
Gravity
« on: April 11, 2007, 06:29:26 AM »
If the Earth is accelerating upward at a rate of 9.8m/s2, then why is acceleration not always constant?  9.8m/s2 is only true at sea level at 45o latitude.  At higher altitudes, the acceleration is less.  Now, why would this be so?  On a flat earth, this would remain constant no matter where you are.

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
Re: Gravity
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2007, 08:05:04 AM »
Hello?  I'm curious.

The FAQ says that the sun and the moon have a slight gravitational pull.

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2007, 08:07:28 AM »
Hello?  I'm curious.

So why doesn't the earth have a slight gravitational pull?

?

BOGWarrior89

• We are as one.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2007, 08:10:14 AM »
Hello?  I'm curious.

I dunno, ask the FAQ.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:32:59 AM »
The way I understand it from what TheEngineer has told me the idea that the attraction of masses being universal is in question.
OMG!

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 09:20:28 AM »
Hello?  I'm curious.

Fe'er have to be anti physics to make the flat earth theory stick.  physics need not apply to earth.   
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 10:23:04 AM »
Hello?  I'm curious.

Fe'er have to be anti physics to make the flat earth theory stick.  physics need not apply to earth.   

Hello? Physics is anti-physics. Otherwise, there would be a "unifying theory" for all masses, waves and particles. This is not the case.

?

∂G/∂x

• All Rights Reversed
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 12:31:55 PM »
Physics is anti physics is it? The unifying theory has not been found. To say one doesn't exist is plain ignorant.
Quote from: Tom Bishop
The universe has already expanded forever

Quote from: Proverbs 24:17
Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth.

narcberry

• Official Flat Earth Society Spokesman/min
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 12:33:51 PM »
Physics is anti physics is it? The unifying theory has not been found. To say one doesn't exist is plain ignorant.
A unifying theory doesn't exist. One day there may be one, but not today. Ignorant means I have no knowledge of such a theory, so you must be correct. Perhaps you could source it for me?

And yes, our current theories contradict one another. Certain laws of physics only apply to certain fields of view. This is not disputed, in fact this is probably the most active topic within physics.

?

akira

• Round Earth Proponent
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 04:59:22 PM »
There you go, that explains it all.
GPS does not require satellites, fortunately it uses it.

?

silverhammermba

• Anger makes me debate. Debating makes me angry.
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 06:09:36 PM »
Answer the freaking question, it's a good one.

Might I add to it? If acceleration changes with altitude due to a slight pull from the sun and moon then wouldn't we be able to monitor significant fluctuations in acceleration as the sun and moon circle over the flat Earth? If they pull strong enough to noticeably pull us away from the Earth, then what about when it is night time and, according to your model, the sun is further away from us laterally than it is vertically? Wouldn't we notice a slight sideways acceleration?
Quote from: Kasroa
Tom usually says at this point that people have seen the ice-wall. It is the Ross Ice Shelf. That usually kills the conversation by the power of sheer bull-shit alone.

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 06:12:45 PM »
Answer the freaking question, it's a good one.

Might I add to it? If acceleration changes with altitude due to a slight pull from the sun and moon then wouldn't we be able to monitor significant fluctuations in acceleration as the sun and moon circle over the flat Earth? If they pull strong enough to noticeably pull us away from the Earth, then what about when it is night time and, according to your model, the sun is further away from us laterally than it is vertically? Wouldn't we notice a slight sideways acceleration?

Whoa, how come there's a slight pull from the sun and moon, but not from Earth? Seems pretty strange to me.
Best SNL skit ever: " class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

I predict Michale Crichton's next book will be based on the Flat Earth Society.

CommonCents

• ^_^
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 12:32:39 PM »
A hole? The FE is so full of holes I don't see how it can hold water!

bazing!
OMG!

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 03:22:57 PM »
Well, you're going to have to do experiments to prove this.

?

silverhammermba

• Anger makes me debate. Debating makes me angry.
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2007, 07:12:07 PM »
Awaiting an FE'er response...
Quote from: Kasroa
Tom usually says at this point that people have seen the ice-wall. It is the Ross Ice Shelf. That usually kills the conversation by the power of sheer bull-shit alone.

James

• Flat Earther
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2007, 08:27:41 PM »
The FAQ is completely wrong. The Sun and Moon couldn't exert a "gravitational pull" since gravity doesn't exist.

The simple answer is that things don't get lighter when they go higher. If you want us to explain phenomena like this, you're actually going to have to demonstrate that they exist first.
"For your own sake, as well as for that of our beloved country, be bold and firm against error and evil of every kind." - David Wardlaw Scott, Terra Firma 1901

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2007, 10:11:03 PM »
This is where FE credibility is completely lost. The FE believers can't even agree with each other.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2007, 02:43:21 AM »
The FAQ is completely wrong. The Sun and Moon couldn't exert a "gravitational pull" since gravity doesn't exist.

I recall i saw other FE's like theenginner mention that the Sun and Moon do have a ''gravitational pull'' (thats the way they explained asteroids hitting the surface of the Moon.)

I think you FE'rs should first  all agree on some of your ideas, cause obviusly not all FE'rs have the same ideas, but they adjust them according to the given problem.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 02:47:15 AM by leclerc »
RE= REALITY

FE= FAKE

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2007, 03:10:11 AM »
Well, Dogplatter just made this a whole lot easier for us

Then there is a pretty huge fuckin' anomaly going on constantly around the planet for the last couple of thousand years. Acceleration due to gravity does decrease as altitude increases, it is a proven fact. Plenty of experiments have been done on it...in fact it's such a given that I can't even recall one.

I know they have conducted experiments with light sensors and found that the accleration of a mass downwards is slightly less the higher one goes. This is due to a handy little formula shown to us by Newton in the 1700's.

F = Gmm/r

As r (the distance from the centre of the earth) increases, the force (F) will therefore decrease.

It was decided that Tom's abuse of his suspiciously acquired mod powers was too much to let continue.  His account was deleted.

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2007, 05:33:09 AM »

I recall i saw other FE's like theenginner mention that the Sun and Moon do have a ''gravitational pull'' (thats the way they explained asteroids hitting the surface of the Moon.)

I think you FE'rs should first  all agree on some of your ideas, cause obviusly not all FE'rs have the same ideas, but they adjust them according to the given problem.

You are forgetting the #1 rule of FE debate.  All FE'ers shall use the version of the FE that suits the debate the best.