Daniel

• Administrator
Charles K. Johnson Obituary, The Independent UK
« on: February 23, 2005, 05:03:43 PM »
Obituary: Charles Johnson
The Independent (London)
March 30, 2001, Friday
by Tim Bullamore

CHARLES JOHNSON was for almost 30 years president of the Flat Earth Society, an American organisation that dissented from the widely held belief that the earth is round.

As a boy he had examined a globe at school and learnt about gravity from his teachers but, notwithstanding the work of Copernicus (whom he dubbed Copernicious), Galileo, Newton et al, Johnson had grave misgivings. From his ranch in the Californian desert - where, admittedly, the world does at
times look flat - he published a quarterly newsletter packed with "proof" that mankind has been duped by a scientific conspiracy.

The earth, he claimed, is a flat disc floating on primordial waters, with the North Pole at its centre and Antarctica its circumference; the sun and the moon are each 32 miles in diameter and hover some 3,000 miles overhead - with heaven a further 1,000 miles in the distance; and Australians, he
maintained with unassailable logic, "do not hang by their feet underneath the world" - as his antipodean wife was only too happy to testify. According to the Flat Earth Society's teaching, sunrises and sunsets are optical illusions and Nasa's space programme is a hoax.

Numerous historical documents and contemporary studies were called upon to support Johnson's thesis. Even Christ's ascension to heaven purportedly lent the Flat Earth Society credibility: if the earth was in fact a ball spinning in space, there would be neither up nor down. According to detailed and complex calculations undertaken by Johnson and his followers, a round world would throw up a 1,700ft-high hump in the Suez Canal, while the Mediterranean Sea would be 60 miles deep towards the middle. "Obviously
water's flat," he told one interviewer. "They're trying to tell you water's bent?"

The society's literature pulls no punches. Its aims are to carefully observe, think freely, rediscover forgotten fact, and oppose theoretical dogmatic assumptions; to help establish the United States of
the World on this flat earth; and to replace the religion of science with sanity.

Charles Kenneth Johnson, who dubbed himself "the last iconoclast", was born in San Angelo, Texas, in 1924. For 25 years he served as an aeroplane mechanic in San Francisco. During that time he was in contact with an Englishman, Samuel Shenton, who was president of the Flat Earth Society, previously known as the Universal Zetetic Society. Before his death in 1972, Shenton decreed that Johnson should inherit his work. Entrusted with this lonely task, Johnson moved to a remote ranch near Edwards Air Force Base and picked up the mantle with enthusiasm. At one time the society could boast some 3,500 members, each paying an annual membership fee of $25.

Although the world at large was slow to accept his work, Johnson remained cheerful and unruffled. He enjoyed smoking a cigar while watching the sun set over the flat desert. He was regularly interviewed by curious journalists and was often invited to speak about his subject. He received large quantities of mail, not all of it ridiculing his work, and on one occasion he starred in an ice-cream advertisement.

In 1995 Johnson's home burnt down, destroying most of his records. His wife died the following year and the society became a shadow of its former self. But his work continues both in America and also in Australia, where a local society, run by people standing upright, has been in existence for 14 years.

Charles Kenneth Johnson, mechanic and campaigner: born San Angelo, Texas 24 July 1924; President, International Flat Earth Society 1972-2001; died Lancaster, California 19 March 2001.

bullhorn

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 05:30:15 PM »
May he rest in peace

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 12:25:54 AM »
The man tried to stand up for what he believed in, theres nothing wrong with that.  I think hes wrong, but you have to respect him for trying
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2006, 09:32:56 AM »
a lot of RE believers are around lately....where did all the FE people go? Have we eventually managed to make them grow sensible and think for once?

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 06:22:37 AM »
Quote from: "Franky Fix"
a lot of RE believers are around lately....where did all the FE people go? Have we eventually managed to make them grow sensible and think for once?

What are you talking about?

The number of genuine flat earthers has only grown since I have been on this forum which is almost a year.  I see you have not quite yet been on for a week yet.

- Dionysios

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 04:50:43 PM »
Well considering the forum has not been up too long, i would guess that the number of FEers has infact grown since you signed up Dionysios.  But I would also guess that it is in an unfavorable ratio to the REer's

- :twisted:
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 05:20:37 PM »
Quote from: "CrimsonKing"
But I would also guess that it is in an unfavorable ratio to the REer's

So what else is new?

- Dionysios

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 04:25:02 AM »
There are about five genuine FE'ers on this forum, as far as I've noticed.
quot;Earth is flat because there is a conspiracy, and there is a conspiracy because the Earth is flat" - Makes sense, duh.

http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=2955.0

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 04:31:43 AM »
Subtract the 2 or 3 that are doing this only to get people argueing and pissed.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 03:24:22 PM »
Quote from: "edlloyd"
like hitler

Of course. Because something happened to be done by Hitler, it must be bad.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 03:57:29 PM »
Quote from: "Masterchief2219"
like hitler

Of course. Because something happened to be done by Hitler, it must be bad.

Didnt it was bad. I'm saying you can't always you well done to some one for standing up for something when it's the wrong cause.

Masterchef

• Rabble rabble rabble
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 04:08:52 PM »
Didnt it was bad. I'm saying you can't always you well done to some one for standing up for something when it's the wrong cause.

Well, none of us have ever committed genocide, so I think it is safe to assume that what we are doing is nothing like what Hitler was doing.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 04:27:38 PM »
Quote from: "Masterchief2219"

Well, none of us have ever committed genocide, so I think it is safe to assume that what we are doing is nothing like what Hitler was doing.

Didnt say you were. Just don't agree with the admiring someone for standing up for themselves. Depends what they are standing up. Simply saying that.

Midnight

• RE/FE Apathetic.
Re: Charles K. Johnson Obituary, The Independent UK
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 01:20:01 AM »
Charles Kenneth Johnson, who dubbed himself "the last iconoclast", was born in San Angelo, Texas, in 1924

Holy shit, I did come to an interesting site after all. That is my hometown, born and raised. I will look into the local lore and learn all I can! neat  ;)
My problem with his ideas is that it is a ridiculous thing.

Genius. PURE, undiluted genius.