Plate Tectonics

• 32 Replies
Plate Tectonics
« on: January 04, 2009, 12:18:20 PM »
How does plate tectonics work in the FET? There is evidence that the earth is moving, or to be more specific, the lithosphere (what would you call lithosphere in the FET?) is constantly moving. Too slow to notice on a human a time scale, but on a geological time scale, it moves rather fast, almost like liquid.

Volcanic activity and earthquakes, tsunamis, even mountain building occur along the borders of plates. Here's a  rather vague map of the plates on a RE map:

Wouldn't, in theory, the plates just "fall off" on a FE? There has been evidence of moving plates long before man dreamed of space travel, so it can't be part of a conspiracy. What stops them from just "falling off"?

I'm just rather interested on how this would work on a FE. Not trying to disprove you, or prove a RE.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Re: Plate Tectonics
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2009, 12:33:07 PM »
This is one of the reasons I tend to favor the infinite Earth model proposed by Username.
Assuming there is an edge though, I could speculate on some answers, as I have never thoroughly investigated this specific part of FE due to a lack of funding.

Awhile back, I saw a documentary on truckers that would drive over vast distances of frozen ocean in the Arctic Circle. It was mentioned that if the ice were to crack or break, it was so cold it would refreeze with a fraction of a second.

I would consider the outside rim of a finite FE exposed to the vacuum of space to be much colder and rigid, and thus could explain the way FE maintains its shape for a prolonged period of time. I need to stress this is based only on what would seem likely to me. I have yet to venture to the Antarctic, or put a great deal of time into this.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2009, 12:41:07 PM »
This is one of the reasons I tend to favor the infinite Earth model proposed by Username.
Assuming there is an edge though, I could speculate on some answers, as I have never thoroughly investigated this specific part of FE due to a lack of funding.

I haven't seen the model. Link?

Awhile back, I saw a documentary on truckers that would drive over vast distances of frozen ocean in the Arctic Circle. It was mentioned that if the ice were to crack or break, it was so cold it would refreeze with a fraction of a second.

I would consider the outside rim of a finite FE exposed to the vacuum of space to be much colder and rigid, and thus could explain the way FE maintains its shape for a prolonged period of time. I need to stress this is based only on what would seem likely to me. I have yet to venture to the Antarctic, or put a great deal of time into this.

If the outside of a FE was exposed to vacuum, then being there would:

1. The lack of pressure would literally just rip you apart.

2. It'd be too cold for any living thing, so no one could truck out there. Also, the water would be completely frozen to the deepest part, so it couldn't break.

3. It couldn't just be "partially" exposed to vacuum, because that doesn't make any sense.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 12:43:32 PM »
And to add to this, wouldn't being partially exposed mean Earth lacked an atmosphere? Wouldn't we all die?

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 12:45:33 PM »

So what happens when the plates hit this wall? Is earth just a giant circular ping-pong table with tectonic plates as the balls?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 12:51:35 PM »
I haven't seen the model. Link?

I forget where I got this from, so I'm afraid I can't give the person or people credit.  :-\

1. The lack of pressure would literally just rip you apart.
If 'you' means the Earth, this assumes that the structural integrity of the Earth is unsound. NASA claimed to have small spacecrafts filled with air withstanding the vacuum of space. It really is not a powerful force to overcome with solid structure. Partially or completely loose objects would be lost though.

2. It'd be too cold for any living thing, so no one could truck out there. Also, the water would be completely frozen to the deepest part, so it couldn't break.
Sorry, I made a confusing reference.  :P
The documentary was made at the North Pole.

3. It couldn't just be "partially" exposed to vacuum, because that doesn't make any sense.
Yes, fluids flow from high pressure to low pressure. Equilibrium would have been achieved long ago.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 12:55:45 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 01:16:21 PM »
If 'you' means the Earth, this assumes that the structural integrity of the Earth is unsound. NASA claimed to have small spacecrafts filled with air withstanding the vacuum of space. It really is not a powerful force to overcome with solid structure. Loose objects would be lost though.

"You" means anyone who went out there, as in people, or any organism. Not the earth.

Yes, fluids flow from high pressure to low pressure. Equilibrium would have been achieved long ago.

But air expands anywhere it can, to put it simply, so the vacuum would just suck out all the air from the entire earth, FE or RE. What would stop the air from going into the vacuum?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2009, 01:26:42 PM »
But air expands anywhere it can, to put it simply, so the vacuum would just suck out all the air from the entire earth, FE or RE. What would stop the air from going into the vacuum?
I would think that the outer most edge of the ice wall forms a very high wall to which contains the atmosphere from the sides. After all, the UA is pushing up on the Earth and the edges are the weakest areas when pressing perpendicular to the disk.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2009, 01:32:57 PM »
I would think that the outer most edge of the ice wall forms a very high wall to which contains the atmosphere from the sides. After all, the UA is pushing up on the Earth and the edges are the weakest areas when pressing perpendicular to the disk.

At what elevation is this wall? Because for the majority of my life I've lived at 8,000ft above sea level, and  air still managed to get past the 14,000 and 15,000ft tall mountains I was surrounded by. I've also climbed mountains 16,000 and 17,000ft high, and the air there is pretty good if you have the blood to breath in it.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2009, 01:58:14 PM »
Then I would deduce that it would have to be at least that high. I see no limit to its height.

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 02:06:36 PM »
Then I would deduce that it would have to be at least that high. I see no limit to its height.

But if the sun rotates above the earth wouldn't it need to fit within ice wall then?
And when the rain begins to fall
you'll ride my rainbow in the sky
And I will catch you if you fall
you'll never have to ask me why.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2009, 02:08:33 PM »
But if the sun rotates above the earth wouldn't it need to fit within ice wall then?
I don't know the sun's height.

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2009, 02:10:53 PM »

So here is what I have gathered on what the general knowledge of this wall is:

1. We have not seen it, but it must be there.

2. It is high enough to keep air away from the vacuum of space. That being said, it has to be at least 30,000ft high, seeing as Mt. Everest is 29,029ft high.

So seeing as this wall has an unknown height, why has it never been recorded? And how was it formed? Like all mountains, is it growing or shrinking (to put it in simple terms)? If it does crumble, like all mountains do, will that be the end of life? Because it is illogical that at the beginning of time the wall/mountain existed, how did our atmosphere (whatever you want to call it) come in to place?

I could go on and on.

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2009, 02:31:48 PM »
I don't know the sun's height.

Well my personal belief that I also have no evidence of is that it's about 96 million miles away.
And when the rain begins to fall
you'll ride my rainbow in the sky
And I will catch you if you fall
you'll never have to ask me why.

?

grogberries

• I am large! I contain multitudes!
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 04:07:25 PM »
It could be possible for a very rigid layer of solid mass that causes the edges sink underneath once pressed against it. The plates would would then be exposed to magma and melt.
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 04:14:35 PM »
It could be possible for a very rigid layer of solid mass that causes the edges sink underneath once pressed against it. The plates would would then be exposed to magma and melt.

This seems improbable. Plates do go into the magma, but only when two plates move against each other. This wall would need to be so large and/or so dense that it would probably have to be made of some new element or mineral completely unknown no humankind. Also, what keeps the wall there? The force that a plate has moving against anything is incredible. The wall would most certainly need some force unknown to man to stop a plate without going against it and make it go into magma.

Which still brings me back to the point: how was this wall formed?

?

grogberries

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 04:38:55 PM »
You have not explained the core in detail. I gave you about the same amount of information. How much do you know on this subject?
Think hard. Think Flat.

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 04:42:05 PM »
You have not explained the core in detail. I gave you about the same amount of information. How much do you know on this subject?

Limited knowledge, I must admit, but for a core to exist in a FE, you'd need enough pressure that it would no longer be a flat earth but a rectangular earth.

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 04:43:02 PM »
The ice wall is just speculation.  Another model proposed (actually a model that I just made up now - I had 3 coffees and I am feeling very scientific and inspired) is that there is a dark energy invisible shield keeping the atmosphere in, but flexible enough to absorb movements of tectonic plates).

Of course that is not my actual belief - this is that the earth is round, and I accept at face value the hundreds of years of modern science theories that explain tectonic plates, movements of the sun and planets, gravity and all that.  Of course this is just blind faith as there is no real evidence that the earth is round, unlike the evidence of FET that is there for those who can look outside our windows.

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
The ice wall is just speculation.  Another model proposed (actually a model that I just made up now - I had 3 coffees and I am feeling very scientific and inspired) is that there is a dark energy invisible shield keeping the atmosphere in, but flexible enough to absorb movements of tectonic plates).

The Dark Energy model makes absolutely no sense because Dark Energy, or DE, is everywhere and nowhere. It is just as possible that there is more DE under your computer or in your stomach than around the Earth, flat or not.

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2009, 04:54:52 PM »
The Dark Energy model makes absolutely no sense because Dark Energy, or DE, is everywhere and nowhere. It is just as possible that there is more DE under your computer or in your stomach than around the Earth, flat or not.

Yes, I should have mentioned that this is bendy dark energy that exists only in the 4th dimension - when matter meets vacuum (as when the ice wall ends and flows out into space) it has the unique property of existing in a more solid (but still permeable) state - which is totally unlike the (non-bendy) dark energy that is currently stored under my desk and in my stomach.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2009, 05:00:52 PM »
Please read up on dark energy before making statements like that. All of you.

I myself side with infinite Earth theory, and I thought I made it clear that I have experience in the Antarctic.
You you take an air compressor and a coin shaped hunk of playdo and blast it evenly, the playdo peals back on the edges. The UA is applying a force on the Earth, and it seems like a plausible scenario that the edges are pushed up in such a fashion.

« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2009, 05:06:05 PM »
Please read up on dark energy before making statements like that. All of you.

I didn't make up the statements. It's very likely that you have DE wherever you are right now, or at least just as likely as anywhere else.

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 05:06:38 PM »

Whoa, whoa, slow down. The plates are ALWAYS exposed to magma. They rest on it. It's called the rock cycle. The bottom layer melts, the excess lava builds up pressure in a volcano, which erupts and the magma on the surface cools. Creating a new layer.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2009, 05:13:11 PM »
Limited knowledge, I must admit, but for a core to exist in a FE, you'd need enough pressure that it would no longer be a flat earth but a rectangular earth.
Cylindrical Earth? If so, it already is.

« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2009, 05:18:13 PM »
Cylindrical Earth? If so, it already is.

The pressure for a core would need to be pretty much equal on all sides. So, the Cylindrical Earth would be more like a... sphere  :o

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »
Also... Dark Energy. Proof it exists? Found by satellites. So you arguing Dark Energy in the FET is very, very ironic (did I use it right this time?)

?

grogberries

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2009, 05:27:51 PM »
Also... Dark Energy. Proof it exists? Found by satellites. So you arguing Dark Energy in the FET is very, very ironic (did I use it right this time?)

Or telescopes.

Whoa, whoa, slow down. The plates are ALWAYS exposed to magma. They rest on it. It's called the rock cycle. The bottom layer melts, the excess lava builds up pressure in a volcano, which erupts and the magma on the surface cools. Creating a new layer.

That is why I said it's probable that the edges could sink. Why was what I said too fast?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 05:29:24 PM by grogberries »
Think hard. Think Flat.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2009, 05:32:23 PM »
Also... Dark Energy. Proof it exists? Found by satellites.
It is theoretical.  ::)

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2009, 05:34:49 PM »
You said that the plates would come in contact with the magma and melt. Well, or course, that's what happens. I said slow down, because everyone just passed this, without a second thought.